DIY Pond Build Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RAH

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello. I was wondering if any body has ever built a pond inside of a wooden frame box. I was thinking of doing a build much like http://www.anythingfish.com/images/Ted/PhotoGallery/Filter Box Pond 2.jpg . I would put a 3/4" plywood at the bottom and line it with pond liner. I would then get rid of the wrinkles and put plywood at the top to hold the liner. My build will be smaller. I'm only doing goldfish "feeders" to start with and I was just wondering if I have anything wrong with my idea.

Rah

I built one 8x8x2 Google Lilies landscape timbers and there are lots of plans.

The picture below is similar to the one I built. Mine is primarily for water lilies.

I built the side to 18" high
Left a shelf around the inside and the dug down another 8". I put plywood on the inside of the landscape timbers.
I just put the liner on the dirt bottom. Our soil is mostly sand so nothing to puncture when I walk in it.

I have also seen this plan with a stone and brick veneer which looks quite attractive in a formal garden.

Take extra time leveling it and plan for an overflow.

Al

Attachments

• image-3992033789.jpg
    image-3992033789.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 136
Alright thanks I'm placing this pond on top of a leveled cement back porch so I have that part. What type of fertilizer is in your pond? I'm planning to put lilies in it. As for run off I was going to make a overflow much like standard aquariums have out of pvc piping.

Hi Rah,

I recommend pots without holes for plants. A couple layers of newspaper can seal the holes to keep the dirt in the pot with holes.
Plastic kitty litter tubs will do.
5 gallon pots work best for lilies. Wider is better than taller . Hardy lilies tend to grow more laterally than tropicals a need bigger pots.

I use back yard dirt(sand) in my pots.
DO NOT USE POTTING SOIL it is made from wood which floats and won't stay in the pot.
I put 2" washed sand as the top layer of the pot to keep the water clear.

I fertilize when the water temp is 70+
I use agsafe. Pond pearls when I repot and 5 tabs per pot every month.
Tabs I push in with my finger as deep as my finer is long.
When I can't push through the lily roots, I repot.

Gardenlink.com has good prices on the AgSafe if you order large quantities.

I also use Jobes tomato spikes. I can't guarantee jobes are fish safe.
I have used the jobes in fifty gallon ceramic pots that have gambusia and Sailfin Millie's and the fish do fine.
Some of the fish or their descendants have been in the pots for three years.
Three spikes in a five gallon pot every month should do fine.

Around here all the pet stores carry some brand of lily tabs similar to the AgSafe for around $18 for 60 tabs
Jobes is $4 for 50 spikes.

Have fun.

Back
Top Bottom