DIY Powered Diffusion (The Mist Method)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Satsumas

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all,

I have had this tank for about 6 months i think, its had livestock in it for about 3 or 4.
The setting up has been extremely slow, the tank has algae in it and the plants (bacopa c) are all looking worse for wear.

If i could get this algae under control then im sure i would plant this tank up! I really want to feel confident enough to start planting but so far my algae experiences have been de-moralising.

I need to up the CO2 level and at a price, im saving for a car so i cant afford pressurized.

What im after is a guide to the mist method of diffusion and i was wandering if someone would be kind enough to talk me through this process and tell me what i need to do and what i need to buy?
I've read bits and pieces of this method and i think i have some idea of what to do but its very sketchy.

I would be extremely gratefull for some help as i cant bare to look at my tank looking like it does!

Thanks in advance.

Basically you need two things for the mist method 1. a way to break up the bubbles into a fine mist, 2. a way to disburse the mist throughout the aquarium. The specific equipment used can vary.

I've seen Tom Barr recommend using a Rhinox Diffuser to create the mist, though I'm not sure if it's compatible with the DIY CO2 method. You can even go as simple as using a Sweetwater Diffuser Stone. A really inexpensive way would be a wooden bamboo chopstick that's never been used cut short and placed in the end of the CO2 line. That last one may or may not create a fine enough mist, but I've seen it suggested instead of airstones.

To disburse the mist you'll want a waterpump or powerhead that's the appropriate size of your tank. Position it so that the mist is picked up by the pump and sprayed through the rest of the aquarium.

I'm not confident with the DIY method, the other day i saw some pumps and was looking to buy one but decided against it as i didnt know enough about the system and what size to get etc...

After thinking about this, i think i might buy a pressurized system!
I've always said "If im going to 'do' this tank i might aswell do it properly'

Also i'm using a serious amount of sugar, 2 cups of the stuff every week! I know its not expensive but considering im not buying the stuff is a bit cheeky.
Also a 'proper' system would save the hassle of making up a mix and also should be more accurate and just overall much neater and better to use.

What would you reccomend from this site? It's just the initial expense that is a bit of a pain to say the least!
http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/index.php/main_page/index/cPath/194_247

I wouldn't recommend anything that I saw on that site.

For a custom built regulatore I'd recommend checking with Rex Griggs to find out whether he's willing to ship to Canada and what the cost would be.

Otherwise the Milwaukee MA957 is pretty widely used and descent quality. I don't know which Canadian vendors carry it though.

In addition to the regulator you'll need some tubing (CO2 tubing is recommended but not strictly necessary), a bubble counter (if the regulator didn't come with one), and a diffusion method, and of course a CO2 cylindar (5-20lbs). Additional items include the selanoid valve (may be included with the regulator) with either a timer or pH Controller, and a manifold to supply multiple tanks.

Back
Top Bottom