DIY protein skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Made a collection cup out of a fish food plastic can thing which drains into another juice bottle. xD It's a pretty ghetto looking device but I think once there's stuff in the water, it'll work pretty good.

I wouldn't put it against PP5, he would come up with a great ro/di unit.;)

whats wrong with a few apple juice bottles and a water hose? im sure you could figure something out ;)

Well, last time i checked, apple juice bottles aren't great at holding pressure. XD

I'm pretty sure if I was really motivated to make an RO/DI I totally could. I just don't see a need at this particular time XD.

I re-set up the skimmer today, to see if it would help at all now seeing that theres "live" stuff in there. I'll leave it on over night and see what happens.

img_1035490_0_326da3cc1884cae5b799c00f4bdcd85b.jpg

its producing some pretty good bubbles IMO.

I made a "collection cup" with a drain port, but somehow the plastic split.. (oopsies) so now I made an elbow and elbow "U" type of thing that puts the foam into a container. I take off the horizontal part of the "U" and adjust the skimmer to get a little bit of foam coming into the first elbow. Then replace the rest of the "U" and it skims pretty well.

Update: skimmer seems to skim rather well!

Does anyone know a way to mod the standard "paddle" impeller to be a meshwheel or threadwheel? Something to chop the air up more?

haha PP, doing this would save me loads of $, but i think i would need to make one a LOT bigger, for what i have planned, if you know what i mean... ;)

Update: (I know this is somewhat old and irrelevent...) I did a recirc. type of mod to the skimmer and made a better collection cup. I'm test running it tonight to see what it does, and if it works, I'll post pics. :D

Back
Top Bottom