DIY root tab clay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nirbhao

Aquarium Advice Addict
While reading about making DIY root tabs, I saw a number of articles with people using clay. A couple said they used Amaco. In one very old thread, there was a bit of a discussion about which clay, differentiating between grey and red.

Oh, and there are reasons you may want to choose the gray over the red. For instance, if you use white sand or other substrate, when you go to uproot if the plant has grown into the clay (which it will) you it will be noticeable. If you use the gray, it's not so much.
yonder

I'm a ceramist, and Amaco makes a whole range of clays in both colors.

I have light sand. I work primarily with high fire clay, so white stoneware and porcelain.

My question is: Can I use high fire clay to make root tabs?

I've got some clay tabs at home that came free with my dry ferts. I'll post up the ingredients list when I finish work if u like?

This link may also help. Threads I've seen have used all sorts of clay and seem to go ok. I prefer to use darker clays as these will have a higher CEC which is better for plants.

I've wondered. On land this makes quite a difference between growing plants on different clay types eg sandy white clays versus dark volcanic clays but it doesn't seem such a big deal in aquariums, planted tanks are successful either clay type. Possibly the organic material in substrate is most important.

http://www.soilquality.org.au/factsheets/h1-cations-and-cation-exchange-capacity-queensland

So the tabs don't actually tell u what's in them :( but this is the packet and what they look like.IMG_1478823213.782603.jpgIMG_1478823249.938195.jpg

I finally went through my chemicals. I have bone ash and soda ash, not potash. I have feldspar and Nepheline Syenite.

If I'm going to be buying chemicals, I may as well buy fertilizer.

Back
Top Bottom