DIY sand/filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

o.jonathan.o

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just ordered my 300gph pump and I need a way to make it into a filter. I want it to have 3 layers in the filter but I want it to include sand. It will have ceramic rings, filter pads and maybe carbon and sand but would the sand be at the bottom. Any advice/improvements are great

Sand in a filter is problematic, in that if it moves you have a mess, and if it compacts, you have resistance to flow. the best way to use sand is in a fluidized bed filter, where the sand is being constantly tossed, and is a biological filter.

Okay so no sand. Well it's gonna be a 3 stage filter with one PVC pipe. Like the basic ones but where will the water input and output go on the filter

If you are using a PVC pipe, the easiest way would be to go in one end and out the other. Your media would be progressively finer as you approach the exhaust end. Next you have to decide whether to push or pull the water. My choice would be to draw the water out of the filter with the pump so that is moving filtered water, which will allow the pump to stay cleaner.

Okay so the water will go into the top going thru the 4 stages. 1st stage filter pad. 2nd stage Bio media (ceramic rings). 3rd stage carbon. 4th stage another filter pad.

Will this work?
Also what could replace the carbon?

I would have the bio rings last after all the mechanical filtration. I would skip the carbon and use more reticulated foam, or inexpensive plastic pot scrubbers. the reason for the rings being last is they will stay cleaner, which will allow them to function better.

Okay and I was gonna start doing this all wrong.
To do this you need a siphon going into the top right?
And if I use ½ inch tube for the siphon , will it match the gph of the water going back into the tank

o.jonathan.o said:
Okay and I was gonna start doing this all wrong.
To do this you need a siphon going into the top right?
And if I use ½ inch tube for the siphon , will it match the gph of the water going back into the tank

Can anyone answer this one

ilostnemo said:
use the same tubing through out

Yeah I am but can I use the pump to pull the water out going in the top and make the water line going back in the tank at the bottom?

ilostnemo said:
youll need some sort of fine mech filter part like poly padding

There will be 3 stages. Filter pad, finer filter pad and then ceramic rings

So here is an update. I gave up on the PVC filter (couldn't find all the parts) and I'm using a culligan water filter. Already has waterproof seals and input/output holes. I put screw in nozzles in the holes for the tubes as shown below. Next I'm drilling holes in a PVC pipe for the filter. Also I will have a 300 gph pump hooked up to it once it comes in the mail

I'm open for suggestions/comments/improvements. Will post more pics once I drill all holes

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110826_172043.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110826_172043.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 83
  • ForumRunner_20110826_172123.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110826_172123.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 79
  • ForumRunner_20110826_172218.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110826_172218.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 96
Just got the filter up and running. Still need some parts but its running and we will see if it works

sorry to hijack this forum.... but has anyone ever heard or used the Aqua Top PH-8 Powerhead... i want to use it for a ten gallons custom filter

If you use a 1/2" tube, to siphon, and pump back through a 1/2" tube the water entering the filter will equal the water leaving. This is how cannisters basically work.

Back
Top Bottom