diy scratch removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tamra&steven

Aquarium Advice Freak
125 acrylic tank with scratches inside and out has any one sanded their tank with wet dry sand paper and then used a buffer to smooth out the scrathes from the sand paper???? if so please let me know how exactly you did this and how it turned out for you thanks

hello has any one ever done this or heard of how to do this anyone at all?????

come on people someone has to know somthing about this.

Last edited:
well i found out how to do this. if any one is interrested
take 1000 grit wet dry sandpaper to the deep scratches first then 2000 grit wet dry next then you will need buffing compound called novus2 or 3 depending on how bad your tank is thank use novus 1 to bring the tank back up to a nice shine. the novus is cheap to the great.

That might be a nice article, if you would like to show us how and take pics.

I know it sounds too simple, but if the scratches aren't too deep, try a little toothpaste on a soft cloth in an inconspicuous spot. (y)

I wouldn't put toothpaste on the inside of the tank. Maybe on the outside if you hvae scratches, but never inside the tank.

Why not? That would have been my first attempt. If there is nothing in the tank, and you plan to use things like Novus anyway, toothpaste can't be any worse than that. You would have to wash it really good afterward anyway, so there is no worry of contamination to future aquatic residents.

My rule of thumb is never put anything inside the tank that is not safe for aquatic residents. If you wouldn't squirt a tube of toothpaste into the tank while fish are in it, I wouldn't use it inside the tank. It's the same reason why you don't clean your tank or ornaments with soap.

I guess my question still remains then, if you must remove the scratches, and plan to use something like Novus (a rather strong chemical) to do so anyway, toothpaste seems like a much more benign alternative. If you were in need of a scratch remover for the inside of your tank, how would you do it then, without applying something that would potentially be unsafe for aquatic life?

While fishy's rule of thumb is a 100% effective rule, I still think it is possible to use some harsh chemicels in a completely dry tank, that you can then bleach, and rinse, multiple times, and then rinse more, and then let sit out in the sun for a day or two, and make it safe.

Still, IMO it's easier to just not use anythign harsh at all if you don't have to.

That being said, I'm hesistant to spend $60 on a removal kit that is safe for fish but probably not effective. I've got an arylic tank with some REALLY nasty scratches in it. Perhaps once my planted hits it's stride I'll work on getting them out somehow.

That's the main reason why we do not have acrylic tanks. :) I am not comfortable putting a harsh chemical into the tank that will house my fish.

once you clean the tank out very well it will be fine. tothpaste would be a good idea on some small scratches. but the scratches in this tank are not small. the scratch removal "novus" that we bought only cost 7 dollars. it works very well i am happy with the out come so far.

Back
Top Bottom