Do angel fins grow back?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meviva

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just got 2 quarter sized angels. It seems that another fish is nipping on the feeler fins (don't know what they are called) that hang down. Will they grow back and what can I do to stop the others from nipping?

Thanks.

What is your stock with the angels and do you know who is doing the nipping? What size is the tank and is it planted? You can't make other fish stop nipping so you may have to do some stock adjusting. The feelers are sensitive and will very slowly heal and regrow if water is kept very clean but the stress the angels are going through from the nipping can cause other health related issues.

It's a 125 gal half round. Right now it's lightly planted but I will be getting more plants soon. The stock is:

2 angels quarter size
4 peppered cories
3 upside down cats 2"
3 rosy fire barbs 2"
3 dennisons barbs 3"
3 silver dollars half dollar size...they hide all day
2 bala sharks 2 1/2"

I think the barbs are the nippers. If I were to put lettuce or some type of veggie in the tank would that help?

Thanks

I would add more balas like 4 minimum. Also I would add more denisons and silver dollars. That might help with nipping if they have some more of their own kind.

I am hesitant to add more balas since they get so big. I was thinking about a couple more dennisons. I can't find any info on the fire rosy barbs. They are so wild. Swimming fast and non stop. All three are males I think. Would a couple of regular female rosy barbs settle them down? I think they are the nippers.

That's true but if you got rid of the Rosys I think you could add 2 more balas and you should be ok.

First if your planning on doing alot of plants I suggest rehoming the silver dollars as they are plant eaters, herbivores. Adding alot more plants and or tall DW/decorations will help divide the tank and break some of the line of sight. Personally I'd rehome the barbs but if you like them then consider getting a larger school so you have at least 8 in a tank that big. Reason for this is when kept in a larger group aggression tends to stay within the group. Not always but often times this works. Veggies won't help with aggression but the Angels, Silver dollars and perhaps the Barbs will enjoy them. I use blanched zucchini and cooked, deshelled, slightly smushed peas in my 220g planted and all the fish love it.

Thanks I will keep an eye on things and think about which way to go. I just redecorated the tank yesterday. I put in a huge piece of driftwood, maybe that will help.

Back
Top Bottom