Do biowheels really add oxygen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bud29

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently bought a penguin power filter 150 for my 30 gallon aquarium. I'd heard that the biowheel in them helps good bacteria multiply and helps put more oxygen in the tank. Is this true? This would save me from buying a bubble wand, as i want to be sure my fish have enough oxygen.

It is true but having a bubble wand or bio wheel are certainly not a requirement to keep a healthy tank.

Not sure I would call it safer... certainly it won't hurt anything, but things like a bubble wand are more aesthetics than anything else. Personally, I keep Co2 injected planted tanks, so I keep surface movement to an absolute minimum, and have never had any issues in any tanks.

Not sure I would call it safer... certainly it won't hurt anything, but things like a bubble wand are more aesthetics than anything else. Personally, I keep Co2 injected planted tanks, so I keep surface movement to an absolute minimum, and have never had any issues in any tanks.

oh....o.k......

From all my reading and chating I also belive a bubbler is not a nessecity. I have one in my betta tank to aggitate the surface because it was slimeing up. I also have one burried in decor in my 20gal. hex because I like the way it looks, but as far as being a nessecity, I would say no. Like Fort said, alot of people injecting co2 into their planted tanks try to keep the surface as still as possible to keep the co2 in the water as long as possible. Hope that helps alittle!

Bio wheels are suppose to support more BB because they turn and let the bacteria get some oxygen. I wasn't aware they add disolved oxygen to water though.

DGabbs said:
Bio wheels are suppose to support more BB because they turn and let the bacteria get some oxygen. I wasn't aware they add disolved oxygen to water though.

They do only because the create a lot more surface agitation than other filters. But absolutely the main benefit is the increased bb population.

They do only because the create a lot more surface agitation than other filters. But absolutely the main benefit is the increased bb population.

Thats what i suspected. I can't imagine that minor amount of surface aggravation would make any difference. Sounds like a marketing ploy.

boadams87 said:
All my bio wheels don't create surface agitation, they don't touch the water.

I think everyone means the waterfall effect agitates the surface water, to be honest I had one and didn't like it

Well all HOB filters have a waterfall effect.... The waterfall from a power filter definitely ads a lot of oxygen to the water.

Back
Top Bottom