Do Certain Corydoras Species School Better?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry Muscle

Aquarium Advice Activist
I know with Tetras certain species definitely school better than others. Wondering if the same is true for Corydoras? If so, which species are known to school best?

Thanks,
Harry

Most, if not all, species of Cory cats "school" and do best when kept in multiples in an aquarium. You won't see the schooling behavior of a Tetra in cories but you will see them together more than apart.

Hello Harry...

Corydoras aren't schooling fish, like Tetras. Corydoras are shoaling fish. There's a difference.

B

Hello Harry...

Corydoras aren't schooling fish, like Tetras. Corydoras are shoaling fish. There's a difference.

B
Andy Sager: Most, if not all, species of Cory cats "school" and do best when kept in multiples in an aquarium. You won't see the schooling behavior of a Tetra in cories but you will see them together more than apart.

The main difference is that in Tetras and other schooling species, they generally school for protection. Cories don't need the school for protection but more for company ( for a lack of a better word.) In the wild, these fish are rarely seen not amongst a larger group of similar fish. In an aquarium, they just seem to do better when not kept alone. ( I used the " " around school because I couldn't come up with the word Shoal before my morning coffee. Thanks BB ;) )

My albino cories will follow each other at times but mostly they are minding their own business in my 75g.

They ignore the rainbows and barbs.

When they do follow each other it looks more like coincidence than intended because they split off again after a few seconds.

We have six panda cories. They are rarely together in a group of six. They split up more into pairs or may three together. It is cool to see when all six shoal together though. We love them!

Back
Top Bottom