Do clown loaches become more boring as they grow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snuffleupagus

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was just wondering this because my baby clown loaches are by far the most entertaining critters in the tank, the way they snuffle around everywhere, swim under and through things, whisker the other fish, fight and swim around with each other, beg for food, etc.

The other day I saw a tank with some bigger (4-7"-ish) loaches at a fish store, and all they did was swim around a little and sit on the bottom. Of course, the tank didn't have any caves or anything for them, but why weren't they playing around with each other and nosing about the substrate? Do they just turn into big sedentary catfish when they grow larger?

i don't think you can really rely on the fish stores because their water quality isn't always the best... i have seen some in some larger aquariums that were pretty active.

My clown loaches are about 3" and they are still the riot of the tank. They have taken to imitating Bruce (my CAE) and it is hilarious!

Snuffleupagus said:
I was just wondering this because my baby clown loaches are by far the most entertaining critters in the tank, the way they snuffle around everywhere, swim under and through things, whisker the other fish, fight and swim around with each other, beg for food, etc.

The other day I saw a tank with some bigger (4-7"-ish) loaches at a fish store, and all they did was swim around a little and sit on the bottom. Of course, the tank didn't have any caves or anything for them, but why weren't they playing around with each other and nosing about the substrate? Do they just turn into big sedentary catfish when they grow larger?

i've seen some Big clown loaches (around 7 inches), and they were schooling !!!!

I just wanted to add that i absolutely LOVE my clown loaches... they are awesome, not only are they playful and fun, but mine will school not only with each other, but with my serpae tetras, cory catfish, or albino tiger barbs!!! becasue mine are small they school with fish of the same size and i guess as they get bigger they won't, but its very entertaining to watch... My husband says "they can't decide waht theywant to be"

Also, the best part of it is, they keep my snail population in check!!!

sometimes as fish grow they get slower or lazier? this happened with my common pleco awhile ago

also, if they didnt have any caves or anything it depend immitate their natural environment, so they didnt feel right or felt out of place. make sure to always have lots of hiding places and make it fun for the fish to swim around, without caves its like us living in a room with plain walls, a chair and a window....no very homely at all...lol

My clown loaches are just as active now (at 3 years old) then they were when I got them. If you keep their water quality good and provide them with a spacious habitat, they'll keep active.

AshleyNicole said:
i don't think you can really rely on the fish stores because their water quality isn't always the best... i have seen some in some larger aquariums that were pretty active.

Agree. My friends fish died he took it back to petco grabbed a quick sample of their water and it failed there test...

Back
Top Bottom