Do corydoras catfish eat algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettafanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm starting a community tank, 10g, and I want a fish that will eat the algae. Will Cory cats eat the algae or will they just eat fish food on the gravel? If not, what algae eater would be best?

They might pick around at it a bit, but they are by no means an algae eater. Nerites or otos would be better choices, though it needs to be an established tank before adding otos. If you want an algae eater because you have an algae problem, don't get one. Only get one if you want it because you like how they look or act.

Bettafanatic said:
I'm starting a community tank, 10g, and I want a fish that will eat the algae. Will Cory cats eat the algae or will they just eat fish food on the gravel? If not, what algae eater would be best?

No cories will just eat the left over food. For a 10g I'd go with some shrimp and a snail or two. I love my tiger shrimp and am planning on amano shrimp which I have heard to be fantastic at eating algae would be good. Like 5 of those would be great and maybe a snail of your choice:). Those are lovely algae eaters. I had a tank that had just been sitting around without anything collecting algae and I didn't want to do anything to it so I put a snail in there and within 2 days it was algae free (it was a1.5g tank).

You likely wont need an algae eater, especially if you keep your water parameters in check and the tank away from directly in front of a window.

I got 2 cory's two years ago, and I swear by them - they are the best 'clean-up crew' you could ask for. My pleco, who gets algae wafers, zucchini slices, and romaine (supposed to be an algae eater) is basically useless compared to my cory's! Ive also had otos before and they were ok but mine jumped out of the tank (he was kind of squirrelly) and died - I never replaced him.

I agree with aquakai too - I have a mystery snail that cruises all over the tank. One of those would be a good idea too, in addition to two cory's.

I will probably get a snail then. Do they require any care? If there is no algae sometimes, what do I feed them? How many do I get? Will snails eat leftover fish food too? I want something that'll eat both

Bettafanatic said:
I will probably get a snail then. Do they require any care? If there is no algae sometimes, what do I feed them? How many do I get? Will snails eat leftover fish food too? I want something that'll eat both

I don't do anything extra to my snails, besides try to get rid of the pest ones which are taking over my fry/tiger shrimp tank....... My Nerite snail eats the algae and I see it sometimes eating the left over food, whether that's bad or not it does.
Oh and I'd get 1.

Ok then! I'll get a snail for sure. What kind of snail would do best? This is good for me because now I can buy more neon tetras. Is there a way to tell if the snail is hungry?

Word of caution- Snails (especially apple snails) will annihilate live plants in your tank if you give them the chance.

I bought two to go into my 10g. Fed them twice daily with blanched lettuce leaves, which they only went for half the time. The other half was literally "plucking" leaves off my ludwigia and wisteria to munch on later. (they never really got the leaves, since they would rise to the top of the tank as soon as they were plucked).

other than that, apple snails are very interesting and im sure VERY efficient with algae :)

I would stick with a nerite snail or two. Apple snails are fantastic, but they haven't done much in the way of algae clean up IME.

Back
Top Bottom