Do Gourami's actually look like this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm pretty sure that is a dyed kissing gourami

There is a link somewhere that has pictures of most dyed fish. I'm pretty sure that was on the site.

Edit:

Its a dyed Giant Gourami

This is the site:
www.deathbydyeing.org

Click on dyed fish list its only a little way down.

um, ive never seen a species that looked like that, and he says it is one of a kind, so im guessin yes that is a dyed fish, which sucks...

yeah... its died, and its a gian gourami... one fish that i wouldent even want to get near... they get way too big. They are on the list of died fish: http://www.deathbydyeing.org/colormedead.htm

Sold as polka-dot gouramis

If that fish would even live to maturity,,, it would be around 30 inches... so yeah.. they get huge.

YOu can drive yourself crazy looking on craigslist! I hope the person who buys it gets it an appropriate home of 200gallons or more. That 37gal looks like it is to small as is.

And its not one of a kind.
I live in Seattle (where the craigslist posting is from) and one of the LFS stores in Chinatown sells those fish.
They have a version with light blue spots as well.

Hi,

I'm the owner of the fish in question. Yes, he's dyed and he's a Giant Gourami. He was 1 of 2 I that came with a 20 gallon tank I purchased 3 years ago to be used as a quarantine tank. I say one of a kind because I visit fish stores all over the Seattle area all the time and have never seen one but then again I have never been to the one in China Town. I agree the practice of dying fish is disgusting but as I said he came with the tank. The 2 were MUCH too aggressive with each other even in my 55 gallon so I had to split them up about 7 months ago. One I gave to a friend of mine with a 95 gallon and he's doing wonderfully in his mixed gourami/angel tank and this guy ended up in this tank alone since it was the only one I had running at the time. I'm hopeful he'll find a home and yes I will make sure they know he's going to be BIG one day.

Very cool Birdmom. I am very new to tropicals so I wanted to know if it was a natural coloring on the fish. I am thinking about trying to eventually go with bigger Trops and Gouramis are interesting fish.
I am glad the other one found a good home and I hope this one does as well.
Out of curiosity, how long does the dye stay on/in them and what does it do to them...health-wise. I am really ignorant on this issue and would like to know why in the world anyone would do this.

Thanks to anyone who answers and good luck Birdmom.

locorosa said:
Out of curiosity, how long does the dye stay on/in them and what does it do to them...health-wise. I am really ignorant on this issue and would like to know why in the world anyone would do this.

Thanks to anyone who answers and good luck Birdmom.

The dye is permanent. Obviously this is quite traumatic to the fish when it is done and many don't survive the process. These are laser tattooed instead of injected so less of the fish's tissues are affected. The smaller fish are often injected in or near the spine and most of them eventually succumb to fungus or bacterial infections. It can also affect their nervous system. I think this guy is in the clear since I have had him 3 years and the guy before me bought him at least a year previous to that.

Cheers!

Wow! I had no idea this was done or even possible. Interesting how it's deemed fashionable...some people!
I assume there are no limits or regulations for this stuff...grrr *hackled going up*

Back
Top Bottom