Do I have to worry about babies with livebearers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GallonsOfFun

Aquarium Advice Freak
If I was to do a 55g livebearer tank, do I have to worry about fry and having more fish? Or will they not survive/be eaten?

If there is plenty of hiding places then chances are yes you will have babies that survive and grow.

Caleb

Depends on how well planted it is. Mine never survive but my adf and corys get right into the plants

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So a dwarf frog or catfish are good options to keep the fry population down?

If you want to keep the population down, you could add an angelfish.

So my tank is too high for a dwarf frog and the angel fish could get aggressive toward the livebearers once they mature. Any other suggestions for keeping fry levels down?

A lot of live bearers will actually eat their own fry. What species are you looking to keep exactly?

I haven't decided, but mollies will definitely be part of it. Possibly mollies, swordtails, and cardinal tetras.

Might add in a center piece fish too, something colorful and a bit bigger (suggestions welcome). So yeah, no fin-nippers would work.

For your center fish you could try adding betta, you should try to get a more passive one because a aggressive one will attack the fish. When getting a betta just watch to see if it flares at you or other fish, if not it may be passive, that is if you decide to get one. I'll recommend having a five gallon set up in case you decide to get a betta and it turns out being aggressive.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If say something like an opaline gourami. Gets bigger and is generally peaceful.

Or a keyhole cichlid, decent size and are big babies that couldn't hurt a fish if they wanted to.

Caleb

My adf do fine in 2ft high tank no problem. Corys very effective too. Both very peaceful community fish. Adf are smaller if want to save room

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

ADF need plenty of hiding places in community tanks or it could stress them as they are quite shy.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom