do I need a center brace, & does anyone have any acrylic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Erok7620

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was thinking of adding a center brace to my older 90g that makes me nervous. I cant find anything localy so I thought someone here who works with acrylic may have a scrap laying around. I'm thinking a 1"x2" would do the job.
It all started when I was looking for a new top and I was telling a few people at the LFS my 90 didnt have a center brace and they looked at me like I was doomed and a catastrophy waiting to happen. (probably just want to sell me a new tank). Anyone think this is unnessessary? the tank was built this way, should I worry? let me know what you think

I would think a 90g should have a center brace I had a 50 that started to bow but it was old and woodframed. I put a wood brace in and it fixed it.

If you are still looking for acrylic i would recommend checking EBAY... i did a search for "acrylic sheet" and it came up with a bunch of varying size pieces from like $5.00 to $270 for a whole 4ft x 8ft sheet... I needed some for installing baffles in a sump im working on...

There are several places online that you can order and they will cut it for you to your specific needs. glasscages.com I think does this.

glasscages is a cool site glad I looked at this post! lol sorry dont mean to thread steal.

center brace

I would think a 90g should have a center brace I had a 50 that started to bow but it was old and woodframed. I put a wood brace in and it fixed it.
H8z--I was wondering if you have a pic of the brace you put in your 50 galllon. I have a 55 with a broken brace and want to build something to put on it, if you have the pic can you send it to me?? Thanks

Erok7620, if this is an older 90 gal, it might not need a center brace. Older tanks were made with thicker glass. It wasn't till the manufacturers switched to a thinner glass that the center support became neccessary. If the top trim is intact and never had a brace, you are good. Also you can look at glass thickness. The tanks without a brace is thicker.

But, there is no reason you cannot add a center brace if you wish. It would make getting glass covers a lot easier!!!!!! If you want acrylic, try a local glass supplier. They will likely cut any size you want.

Good Luck with it, what are you planning to stock it with?? :D

Jeff

You should use glass siliconed to the glass sides for a centre brace. Silicone will not stick to acyrlic well enough to do the job.

Back
Top Bottom