Do I Need a Sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cjcarron1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 30 gallon tank that I want to use as a FO tank with no live reef yet. I was wondering do I need a sump? And if not what kind of filter is best?

I think that a sump is always a good idea if possible, just for adding more water to your system. Then you have a place to put all of your equipment and don't have to look at things like your heater or whatever.
In terms of filtration, there are a couple routes to go. I like skimmers personally. Some FO systems can rely on HOB filters or even canisters. As long as they are cleaned during weekly water changes they won't turn into nitrate factories.

+1 extra water means it can cope with bigger bio loads and gives good place to do water changes without as much effect on fish too

Thank you for the advice. The tank was an old tank I have not used in about 5 months, and I don't think I can drill any holes in it for a sump. I have a bio wheel filter that is registered for 55 gallons, so will that work for a 30 gallon tank? I have a protein skimmer I will use in addition.

I statred my first saltwater tank in a 29g regular ole tank with an aquaclear 50 on it. I later added a remora skimmer and it ran great, had alot of corals and alot of growth. :)

A sump is always a great idea but dont feel its absolutely needed to be sucessful, you can have a great tank with just a filter and some powerheads.

You don't need to drill holes to have a sump. I've built two DIY overflows and returns from a sump. There are a lot of examples on how to do it on the web and YouTube. Not a necessity, but as others have said, it can make a difference in stability, etc.

Thank you all so much! I have a powerhead I can use, and I hope to have a new saltwater tank up soon.

Sorry if this sounds like a silly question, but I am completely new to the saltwater hobby and know next to nothing about it. For a 30 gallon, how many fish could I fit? I already know I will have a couple of clownfish, but what else can I fit?

Also, I have seen a lot about using RODI water. Is that necessary? Right now I am just taking baby steps and learning as much as I can before I do anything. Thanks

Rodi water is a necessity for long term success and the amount of fish depends on the stock so how much waste the produce and the swimming room etc what are you thinking?

I was maybe thinking a dwarf angelfish like a flame angel, a pair of clownfish, and a couple gobies or something like that.

I will surely buy a RODI unit then. I thought it may be necessary, but I was just making sure.

Can't see any problem with that although some may have diff opinion on a flame in a 30 as I have no experience with that

Another question- what is the best kind of salt mix? Is one better than the other? I just need to get as much info as possible. Thanks!

I have a 35g fo running on a external canister filter and tank is running fine

Baby steps...don't put all the fish in at the same time...let your tank cycle first and then start adding fish slowly or you could end up crashing your tank and losing all your stock...gets expensive lol

I use instant ocean regular salt for my fish only tanks and the Instant Ocean Reef crystals for my reefs. They work very well and dissolve pretty quickly. Most salt mixes are very similar though and people have their favorites. lol

Back
Top Bottom