Do I need an airstone now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kashif314

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a nano shrimp tank. After adding 35 shrimps tomorrow 60+ shrimps will be tomorrow in it. I don't use co2 in it. Use glut (Sechem Excel which i stopped dosing for few days)

20180628_142236.jpg

As you can see its not heavily but fairly planted and since its nano so i was wondering do i need an airstone at night when plants emitting co2 or if my hang on back filter is enough for water agitation for shrimps? I was never concerned before but now going to be 60+ shrimps in tank and i am not sure at night the oxygen will be enough for them. Please suggest. Thanks.

I use an airstone with my HOB, as a safety feature because if my filter gets a power outage and doesn't restart, I have the safety of not being off to work for the day or away for an evening and leave fast the next day for work and not have any air going. Today as a matter of fact I have my 2 SW nano tanks with little HOB filters, a 20 and a 30 Fluval Aquaclear.

I accidently bumped the strip plug "off" button as I was turning on the lights this morning and neither of the filters restarted even with priming them. I had to leave, so I added an airstone to one, one already had it.

The one that did not have the air stone was because I had taken it out in an emergency and needed to add it and never actually put one back.

This evening, I found one was clogged with Macroalgae, Cheatomorpha and it couldn't gain enough suction to prime and start running. The other had a tiny Astera Star blocking the impeller apparently along with a bit of gunk.

After cleaning they were back on track.

A few days ago my other one in the PRL tank didn't restart after bumping the powerstrip button when I was cleaning - I was there to fix it immediately, but bought a new filter as the motors are as expensive as a complete unit.

As usual, extra long answer. :/ lol

Thanks a lot. So do i need airstone even during the day or at night only? Hob is working 24/7 and tank is not left unattended now. My wife is in room if i am away. Please advise.

Not in my opinion. I have had planted bowls and tanks without any HOB and no air stone just lots of moss and plants.

Make sure she knows if you have a battery operated air bubbler in case of power outage, or how to restart the HOB if it doesn't prime itself. I need to buy a few of those but have a battery inverter and then generator if power is out long.

Not in my opinion. I have had planted bowls and tanks without any HOB and no air stone just lots of moss and plants.

Make sure she knows if you have a battery operated air bubbler in case of power outage, or how to restart the HOB if it doesn't prime itself. I need to buy a few of those but have a battery inverter and then generator if power is out long.
Thanks. Gladly here power never goes where i live but who knows really. Bad time can come without warning. I must buy a battery operated air pump just in case. Actually i need three for three tanks specially for fish tanks.

Back
Top Bottom