Do I need baffles in a refugium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gibbin94

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just bought a 10 gallon tank from Petco to act as a refugium for my 26 gallon reef. I was wondering if i needed baffles in it and if not how do i prevent the return pump from sucking in the sand.:confused:

If you are going to make it a refugium you`ll need to have at least one baffle to keep the sand and macro algea from going into your return pump. If you are going to do a plain sump then you`ll not need baffles as it wont have sand or macro.

i need baffles even if I run the pump externally? and also can't i just raise the pump up 1-2 inches of the bottom with an acrylic stand?

its easier to just make the baffles. You can get the class cut for that size tank for under $10 and just slop some silicone on them to keep it in place. you could raise it up, but then you could never stir up the sand in there, and thats not going to happen.
Plus if you don't have baffles and for whatever reason your drain clogs, the pump will just empty the small section that it is in, instead of draining the whole tank and flooding your DT.

does anyone know where to get glass cut? and do i need to cut the corners of the glass so i don't have to cut silicone or should i just wedge the peice of glass in the silicone?

Go to Lowe's or Home Depot. You can get the regular plate glass for around $4 a piece and they will cut it to fit. The glass doesn't need to be super strong for baffles. Just place the baffles where you want them and hold them with tape and then silicone the edges and bottom, set for 48 hrs, leak check, and you are ready to go.

Back
Top Bottom