Do I need fertilizer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elaine79

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was just on the Unhealthy Fish forum because of some of my fish died yesterday. Long story short, I added fertilizer to my 29 gallon planted tank (Excel Iron and Excel Flourish) and a CO2 fizz tab yesterday. The responses I got back basically indicated that there was too much CO2 and thats probably why some fish died.

But one reply said that I should not add fertilizer. This confuses me because I did a bit of research and spoke with the lfs about what I should add. I have 2.2 wpg and a very low amount of CO2 through the "CO2 Natural Plant System" (which is good for tanks up to 20 gallons). My plants are turning yellow/clear and algae is really starting to overtake my tank. Is it true that I don't need fertilizer? And I was going to add more CO2 though another system but now I am not so sure.

Can anyone give me some guidance? Thanks so much for your help.

p.s. I am managing to keep the remaining fish alive and they seem to be in good health.

You really shouldn't need fertilizer in a 29 gallon. That's more for large set ups with a need for fertilizer (such as not having a big enough waste load from fish). A 29 gallon can get plenty from fish waste. Types of plants are also a factor. Plants can be just as individual as fish in their nutritional, lighting, and temp requirements just to mention a few. Try not to get bought into sophisticated stuff yet. You might not need some of it.

How long has the tank been up and running with fish in it?

Don't add any more additional CO2 into the tank. Test the water for the basic ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH. I'd like to know the results. For right now do start a simple routine of 10% water changes once a week if you don't already. Once I know the results of the water tests we can give you more detailed advice. Adding some freshwater aquarium salt can help. About a tablespoon per 10 gallons.

Actually, a 29gallon may require fertilization. It really depends on the fishload, how you feed, what plants you have, and your actual CO2 levels. At 2.2wpg, its easy for algae to gain a foot hold if nitrates and phosphates aren't in balance, and/or if CO2 levels aren't high enough to let the plants grow at their maximum potential.

I do agree with TCT that I'd like to see test results for ammo, nitrite, nitrate, pH, and Kh, as well as phosphate. The CO2 fizz factory isn't very useful, so I'd recommend no future purchases of refills.

Also, don't add salt. there's no reason to add salt to a freshwater tank, especially when plants are involved. I have no idea what plants you have, but some can be very sensitive to any salt.

malkore said:
I have no idea what plants you have, but some can be very sensitive to any salt.

Not to mention snails . . .

As to the fish deaths, overdosing with Flourish Excel can also be deadly to fish. Too much of a good thing can be a very bad thing. And concentrations of iron in excess of .2 ppm can also be toxic to fish.

I mentioned to add a little salt (half of the dose recommended on the salt box) mainly for the fish. It can help keep their gills clear while in stress. It's considered a "tonic". I didn't think so much of the plants when I posted that.

Thanks for all the tips, its very helpful.

My ammonia is 0.
Nitrate is below .25. Based on the color chart, I would say its about .12
pH is 6.4
I just ran out of the Nitrite test kit.
Also, I've looked for the Kh test kit but it wasn't available. I will go ahead and order it online.

For plants I have:
Baby tears- Micranthemoides, Micro sword, Tiger Lotus, Ludwigia repens, Ludwigia gladulosa, Red Temple, Glossostigma,, several anubias, Chilensis and some corkscrew val. (Sorry I don't know the common and scientific names for all). There are some others but I have no idea what they are called.

My fish appear to be back to normal (I have 2 dwarf Gouramis and 5 Juleii cory cats). They do like to eat the algae more than their regular food.

Um, I meant that Nitrite is .12 and I ran out of the Nitrate test kit.

The fish are probably doing better because the CO2 has decreased. You need to get the nitrates tested. The presence of nitrite will mean the nitrates will be going up soon. Make sure it doesn't go over 40ppm. The lower the better. For a plant tank I would guess 10 - 20 ppm would be good. Feed the fish a healthy diet and the plants will feed healthy too. Just don't over feed the fish. It's so easy to do. Two minutes worth of food per day about 5 to 6 days of the week.

A lot of fish eat algae. Veggies are very important for them too :)

Back
Top Bottom