Do I need to bring my plantds in for winter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
well in my outdoor pond (small 35g) I have a water lilli and some other plant...(hold on let me go see what it is) ok and a great spearwort....do I need to bring them in for the winter (the pond froze over last night..it got down to 23) ? if so were should I put them? thanks :)

well in my outdoor pond (small 35g) I have a water lilli and some other plant...(hold on let me go see what it is) ok and a great spearwort....do I need to bring them in for the winter (the pond froze over last night..it got down to 23) ? if so were should I put them? thanks

Also, even Hardy Lilies can't be frozen solid. I'd imagine a 35 gallon would freeze solid during the winter. If it is small (which it should be in a 35 gallon) you could wrap the rhizome in som damp paper towels or newspaper. Put that sealed in a ziplock bag and keep it someplace cool (like a garage), or even the refridgerator (not freezer).

As for marginals, I haven't had real good luck with overwintering hardy or tropical stuff (probably just me). Again though, you don't want them to freeze solid. Many marginals will do fine planted in moist soil inside as a house plant.

Back
Top Bottom