Do I Need To Sterlize a Used Aquarium - New To Me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chiselchst

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK, I am now ready to set up my new (used in salt water) tank.

I have read previously (somewhere?) that I should treat EVERYTHING with bleach/water mixture first to disinfect it?

Is this true? What should I do before starting up this used tank and adding fish?

All input appreciated.

Thanks,
Mitch

If the tank has been empty for over a month there should be no need to sterlize it. Any thing that would be harmful to fish in the way of parasites will be long gone without water. You may however want to rince it out well to make sure the salt level is not high in your freshwater tank. As far as the substrate I would just toss it and buy new.

Yes, wash it out with a water bleach solution inside and out, you may have to repeat; then make sure to rinse very well. Then when you fill it up with water the tap water conditioner will finish off any left over residue.

Even if it hasn't been used in a while, I'd bleach everything anyway just in case; better safe then sorry. You never know what may have been in there in the interim. Even a mouse might have peed in it LOL

A 9-1 water/bleach combo should do the trick. Then rinse it until you think the bleach is completely rinsed out and you can't smell it anymore, then rinse again with water treated heavily with a dechlor.

Thanks everyone!

Bleach treatment it is. And I'll be sure to rinse it more than enough...

Thanks again...

Mitch

Back
Top Bottom