Do i really need to reinforce my stand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscarr19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought a 32G used with a stand. The stand was a little to small for the tank in width but seeing as the tanks seal was in bad shape he must've had that stand for a while. I will put a piece of plywood or particle board on the stand to fully cover the base but is it necessary to reinforce? If so what is the cheapest way and how would i do this. Keep in mind i'm 15 but have a job.

How much overhang will you have over the stand if you add a piece of plywood? My first inclination is that all you would need is a piece of 3/4" ply since the stand is the same length as the stand. The fact that the stand is too narrow is less of a factor if the over hang is very slight. You don't want to make the stand unstable by having the top much wider than the base. Another possibility is to add a piece the same size as the top to the bottom so you have a pedestal effect. It is difficult to say without a few more details.

the top of the stand is 31 3/4'' x 12'' the bottom is the same in length but 14'' in width. I want to cut the plywood to 32 1/2'' by 14''

The tank measures: 31 1/2'' by 13 3/4''

The only problem is the peice of plywood i have is like 6 feet in legnth and is pretty wide. I don't know how i would transport i to my hardware store. I have the tools but i'm 15 and my dad is real busy but i think after he sees the trouble it is to bring the wood to the HW store he'll cut it...i hope :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom