Do I want Anemones or not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fjmcm1947

Aquarium Advice Activist
my tank is a month or better old and when I turn the lights off at night everyone has a rock they hide in accept my pair of true percula's they go to the top around my PH, I am thinking they need a home?

What is good or bad about anemone

They need some serious good lighting and a well established tank. make sure that the anemone will host the clowns. Condys will not, usually bubble tips do though.

Rather you do or do not is a personal choice. However, your tank is no where near mature enough (age adds environmental stability) for an anemone.

You've got at least 5 months to make your decision. IMO

okay from here out I am going with the opinions from this site more then the store folks, they just got some in today I was going to get one but since you said I need to wait that is what we will do, so the fish are fine just hanging around the top all night.

About lighting, I read just yesterday on the net that it has been thought that anemones needed aot of light but have found normal lighting will do.

True or false

My lighting is 2, 17 watt flouresent

False.

You shouldn't 100% trust the information here either. You should use this site along with other sources to make an informed decision.

Anonymous sites are filled with bad information, people purporting experience they don't really have, urban myth propagation and on and on.

IMO

i purchased a BTA for my tank a few months ago with the same thinking as you have. My Clowns looked like they needed a home.

3+ months later, and my BTA is doing awesome. However, he is hidden in the back of my tank and rarely visible. And, the clowns are not interested in it at all. The seem to prefer my Duncan

False.

You shouldn't 100% trust the information here either. You should use this site along with other sources to make an informed decision.

Anonymous sites are filled with bad information, people purporting experience they don't really have, urban myth propagation and on and on.

IMO
That is the best advice you can get from any sight!

nothing guarantees the clowns will ever host one as goisles1 experienced.
Over time the clowns will pick a favorite spot, just give them time.

This is the only site I am useing I do not need confusion other articles I read are with google search. From reading and more reading in here I feel pretty comfortable with opions

goisles1, what is a BTA and a Duncan, I have a list of some terms used here and that is not on there.

Condy Anemone is also known as the Haitian Anemone or Giant Golden Anemone. Condylactis gigantea.

BTA= bubble tip anemone, Duncan= Duncanopsammia coral or whiskers coral or just Duncan coral

goisles1, what is a BTA and a Duncan, I have a list of some terms used here and that is not on there.

BTA = Bubble Tip Anemone
Duncan = Type of Coral. Here is a Pic:
duncan.jpg

BTA very nice, so basically there is no 100% that they will host anthing in particular, Great I am so glad I found this place you would not believe some of what I had been told by several non type chain stores but single owner stores, but you all probably allready know what they said.

You must have a anemone for those fish here is one for $50 as if they would die if I didn't, but I didn't know.

So I feel much better now knowing they will be fine.

Lighting: I was told T5 and I really don't know about what T5 is I saw one for $50

... my pair of true percula's they go to the top around my PH, I am thinking they need a home?

As others have already said, clowns don't *need* an anemone. Regarding a "home" though... sounds like they already found one! Often times clowns will adopt powerheads as their surrogate anemones.

wow, well when the time comes and if it comes, I know I need to read more and more about all the different creatures involved in SW I just learned about brissell worm, a guy I see occasionally, said if you have live rock you will have this worm and started telling some bad stories yesterday, so when I got home I came in here looking for articles on this worm and found some like him some don't the worm can be bad or good, I was getting all nervous again ready to get a trap and whatever else I needed until I read what othere here had to say.

THANKS EVERYONE!

wow, well when the time comes and if it comes, I know I need to read more and more about all the different creatures involved in SW I just learned about brissell worm, a guy I see occasionally, said if you have live rock you will have this worm and started telling some bad stories yesterday, so when I got home I came in here looking for articles on this worm and found some like him some don't the worm can be bad or good, I was getting all nervous again ready to get a trap and whatever else I needed until I read what othere here had to say.

THANKS EVERYONE!

It's only just begun man... LOL...Just wait... Things will start popping up all over the place as the tank matures. I've got bugs everywhere, tiny worms on my glass at night, a Vermitis (sp) snail building his tube under my Duncan, a weird snail shooting eggs (or sperm) up into my water column all the time, sponges growing..etc...etc:clown:

Back
Top Bottom