Do LFS purchase fish from private individuals who breed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiGal

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am curious to hear about other people's experience in attempting to sell to LFS. We are trying to breed now, and I am concerned how I should approach this. Any advice, tips, recommendations, or warnings?
:thanks:

My Petco and pet supplies plus said that they can't buy fish from individuals because they need a health certificate with them.

To the best of my knowledge, chain-type stores will not buy from private breeders (atleast in my area). Two of my local lfs will but at not at retail price (obviously!). I would try to establish a relationship with your lfs right now-this will be much easier with a mom & pop type of a place. You also have the classifieds here & craigslist. I am sure others will have suggestions as well! :)

GouramiGal said:
I am curious to hear about other people's experience in attempting to sell to LFS. We are trying to breed now, and I am concerned how I should approach this. Any advice, tips, recommendations, or warnings?
:thanks:

Petco and Petsmart generally wont but i have two places by me that are "mom and pop" that will take fish for store credit.

It depends, I know they won't do it because they have to purchase from someone with a business license or dealers license. They still might work out something for store credit though. You just have to ask around to locally owned LFS and see what they say.

My lfs gives me store credit at 25% retail but up the price for adults. Its really not much at all, but it is easy and convenient.

In my state there are two stores that give credit for breeding fish, propogating plants, and will take unwanted fish for credit. Another store sells locally bred fish. The breeder probably gets credit.

Listening to what people y it's really weird. Where I live pets at home will take any fish I don't want!

Back
Top Bottom