Do live plants need different substrate from gravel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I simple live plants like java ferns need different substrate from gravel? How do they grow? Also are java ferns common in Petco and such? Do I need separate CO2 or do the fish make up for it? Sorry it's a lot of questions. Please try and answer all of them. I am new to live plants

Java ferns have rhizomes that are not to be buried so substrate is not an issue.

You can tie them to rocks or DW via cotton string ... Eventually the roots will attach. Java ferns and Anubius plants are filter feeders ... Pulling nutrients from the water column ... So dosing liquid ferts is beneficial.

Both of these are low light, low maintenance plants that do not require CO2... Just dose ferts. You can find both of these at Petco's etc .... Good choice plants for beginners. Another option are crypts ... Another low light plant that can be buried in gravel, though sand is a bit better IMO. With crypts, there are a few different species to choose from ... Again available at Petco's.

The link below lists plants by their lighting requirements ... Check out low.
PlantGeek.net - Plant Guide

jcolon said:
Java ferns have rhizomes that are not to be buried so substrate is not an issue.

You can tie them to rocks or DW via cotton string ... Eventually the roots will attach. Java ferns and Anubius plants are filter feeders ... Pulling nutrients from the water column ... So dosing liquid ferts is beneficial.

Both of these are low light, low maintenance plants that do not require CO2... Just dose ferts. You can find both of these at Petco's etc .... Good choice plants for beginners. Another option are crypts ... Another low light plant that can be buried in gravel, though sand is a bit better IMO. With crypts, there are a few different species to choose from ... Again available at Petco's.

The link below lists plants by their lighting requirements ... Check out low.
PlantGeek.net - Plant Guide

Thanks. I have brought back a few natural rocks from a river. I have rinsed them in hot water and washed them out thoroughly then cleaned them off with purified water. Can I use those?

Bobjoefredsky said:
Thanks. I have brought back a few natural rocks from a river. I have rinsed them in hot water and washed them out thoroughly then cleaned them off with purified water. Can I use those?

You should be able too, I have done the same.. :) & how big is your tank?
Id love to see pictures.. I just started a 10 gal planted tank, & never been into live plants until now, using the same plants as you.. :thumbs:

Here is a picture of mine, will be adding fish next week hopefully along with RCS.

Attachments

• image-1099612187.jpg
    image-1099612187.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 173
Patar664 said:
Nice tank!!! I've always wanted a planted tank.

Thanks. It's not that great cause pH is low, & dust particles from substrate settles on my plants.. But start one! That's a 10 gall tank with low lights plants.. :) I enjoy it already & I don't have any fish/shrimp in it yet!

You can also use super glue to attach Java Fern, it's much easier than string. Use the GEL super glue not the regular runny stuff.

At Petco Java Fern is sold as "Tropico Fern" in the tubes, if I recall correctly.

blert said:
You can also use super glue to attach Java Fern, it's much easier than string. Use the GEL super glue not the regular runny stuff.

At Petco Java Fern is sold as "Tropico Fern" in the tubes, if I recall correctly.

Well I've had the fern strapped up for a few days now. About how long before I can take the bands off?

I had java moss strapped on to a rock in my old 5 gallon, but it never stuck on so I'm not sure.

Swords can do lower light but need a rich substarte and are nutrient hogs. You need to get root tablets to fertilize them. Plus be aware and amazon sword can grow huge. I have two in a 220g and they are both to the top of that 30" tank and use about 15 inches of room and that is with keeping leaves trimmed off so they don't grow into fat monsters and take over the tank. The only reason I have them is for my angels. They like to spawn on them and they make a great visual barrier to keep aggression low. There are however some swords that get smaller. Check into those if you want a sword.

I have an ozelot sword that is staying small. It's green with red speckling. Looking into the size of melon swords too, I can't remember how big they get but they have fatter, rounder looking leaves. You could also look into red and green tiget lotus. If you use fertilizers, both root and water, they would do fine in gravel. With them you want to keep the leave cut off that are on the long stems headed for the water surface. Unless you just want water surface coverage and shaded tank interior. If you would get a red one look for iron root tabs or root tabs with iron. Plus you can do Seachem Flourish Iron.

You deff need proper substrate for planted it is called like fluorite or somethin I could be totally wrong though very nice looking rock resish orange can be different but can't be sealed/painted gravel and if you have a heavy stocked tank will help with the co2 and also water quality

Patar664 said:
I had java moss strapped on to a rock in my old 5 gallon, but it never stuck on so I'm not sure.

What did you end up doing?

Bobjoefredsky said:
Well I've had the fern strapped up for a few days now. About how long before I can take the bands off?
It could take quite a while depending on how well it grows.

Patar664 said:
We're the rocks smooth? Works better with something that has a rough surface so the "roots" have something to grab on to.

Madreefer420 said:
You deff need proper substrate for planted it is called like fluorite or somethin I could be totally wrong though very nice looking rock resish orange can be different but can't be sealed/painted gravel and if you have a heavy stocked tank will help with the co2 and also water quality
You don't need special plant substrates, gravel will work. You will need root tabs for root feeders though (Swords, etc). You just want to avoid anything too large so roots don't get smashed and the plant has something to hold on to.

Bleheri Sword is a low light Sword plant. It can get large though, nothing a little trimming can't deal with.

Back
Top Bottom