Do my fish have ich??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chevy_guy2002

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 14gal biocube freshwater tank. I have 8 tetras and 2 plattys in this tank. Recently I have noticed small white spots on two of the fish (one worse than the other). With past experience i have known this to be ich. And if not treated properly it would spread or even kill the fish.
however the white spots i have seen on my fish have not gotten any worse and they have even disappeared on one of the fish. I have noticed that it would disappear on one fish and then another one would get it.
After seeing this i went ahead and turned to heat up to help control it if it was ich. I have not treated the tank or fish yet since im not sure if it is ich. As of today i no longer see any spots on my fish!
has anyone ever had this happen? If so what is it and how do i control/get rid of it?

Ich is a parasite, and it can show up in one spot one day, and not be there the next day.
Are these new fish? Have you added any new fish? Has your tank gone through the nitrogen cycle? What did you raise the temp to? How long has your tank been set up? What is your water changing schedule?

The tank has been set up for around 6m. I do a 15% water change every week in my 14gal biocube. The only fish that have recently been added which was around the time i started to see these spots were two catfish (can't remember the proper name for them). The tank should be good and cycled. WHen i noticed these spots which was only like 2 or 3 on a fish i raised the temp to 80. The spots went on for about a week or two then there has been no sign of it since. I did a water change today and checked over all the fish which they seem fine.

I have had to deal with ich in the past, but this is not acting like the ich i have seen before. It started with one spot, then moved to about 3 spots and it went back and forth like that for about a week. Now there are no signs of anything. Ideas?

Also i read some where that tetras are none for getting ich and even some kind of fungas. Do you think this might be a fungas of some kind rather than ich?

The tank has been set up for around 6m. I do a 15% water change every week in my 14gal biocube. The only fish that have recently been added which was around the time i started to see these spots were two catfish (can't remember the proper name for them). The tank should be good and cycled. WHen i noticed these spots which was only like 2 or 3 on a fish i raised the temp to 80. The spots went on for about a week or two then there has been no sign of it since. I did a water change today and checked over all the fish which they seem fine.

I have had to deal with ich in the past, but this is not acting like the ich i have seen before. It started with one spot, then moved to about 3 spots and it went back and forth like that for about a week. Now there are no signs of anything. Ideas?

If you're not seeing anything now I'd wait and observe. Some meds can be harsh on fish and your biofilter so you don't want to start bombing the tank with things which may or may not help. Just wait and watch and hope for the best. :)

Everything seems to be fine now. Not sure what it was i was seeing or what caused it, but it seems to be gone. I did raise the temp up to 80 when i saw the problem...Should i keep the temp at 80 for tetras? They seem to be doing fine

Back
Top Bottom