"Do Not Fill With Water"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Devilishturtles

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all,

I got this 20 gallon reptile tank(all-glass) for my little turtles back when they were still hatchlings. They have since outgrown it and yesterday I upgraded them to a nice big 55 gal tank.

Now I have this empty 20 gallon long tank, but when I bought it, it explicitly said..."Do not fill with water".

The sides look like they could definitley handle it, and I've had it 3/4 full with water for the turtles. So, is it possible? Is this just a meaningless warning, or one I should stick by? Any ideas of anything I can put in it, if not fish?

Thanks alot!

I would fill it with water and place in an obscure area for a few days and watch for leaks or any signs of stress to the glass. It's probably the weight of the water that the manufacturer is warning about (it's possible that someone, somewhere actually sued the manufacturer because the tank cracked sometime in the past).

So, if you don't want to chance it, get an couple of small lizards. :wink:

You could use a tank like that for any number of things.... frogs, toads, lizards, newts, snakes, etc... I have a 20 gal long(that I built upwards to make it bigger) that houses some frogs and toads. Part is land and part is water. You could even place a water area more towards the middle using as little tank glass as possible to support very little water. There's tons of interesting things you could do with it. I've kept a few guppies in the past in such a setup with my frogs and stuff. Sooooo many interesting, not fish, type things you could do with that tank...

Check the top support ring on the tank, some of the tanks that are made for reptiles have a place to insert a screen, if this is the case then that top ring will not support the weight of the water. If it is the same as a normal fish tank, then set it up outside on a firm location and fill it up. If it holds the water than you are good to go.

A 20 gal long is the perfect home for GERBILS!!!

Attachments

• saprykin_and_zelepukin_in_shavings.jpg
    saprykin_and_zelepukin_in_shavings.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 153
  • zele_behind_keyboard.jpg
    zele_behind_keyboard.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 325
  • saprykin_poking_her_head_out_214.jpg
    saprykin_poking_her_head_out_214.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 407
I knew Menagerie might bring those up... I almost brought up rodents myself, but just couldn't. I think reptiles, amphibians, and even insects are more interesting. Of course, that's just me. :D :D
Once it gets warm out here again I'll probably set something up with another scorpion in it :D
One of my favorite pets was(was :cry: ) an american toad I use to have. She would eat out of my hand...

My gerbs eat out of my hand, they give whisker-kisses, they have fasinating behaviors in regards to communicating with each other and nest building, it's tons of fun to watch they in their balls while the cats lurk near-by....I could go on and on....

I believe the glass is thinner for reptile tanks. I'd write the manufacturer, to be sure. You don't want to come home to dead fish, glass & water on the floor...

Check the top support ring on the tank, some of the tanks that are made for reptiles have a place to insert a screen, if this is the case then that top ring will not support the weight of the water.

This is what it has. So, I'm guessing a no to filling it with water. lol.

A 20 gal long is the perfect home for GERBILS!!!

Good point! Mom and dad won't go for gerbils though, I'm thinking.

The thing is that...I'm leaving for a different college within a year or a little after that...so I want something maybe easy to take with me and small.

I might look into a gerbil or two. I just think it's a shame to have the empty tank laying around! :roll:

Thanks for your ideas. Anymore come to mind, post away! I'll keep thinking and surfing around.

Something like a toad, newt, or lizard would be good for traveling. Depending on time of year and weather conditions though it could be tricky for any animal. But for small reptiles and amphibians all I usually do is pack up the animal in a smaller container with some damp substrate or something and have that inside the tank or something. Usually works well.
maybe some firebelly toads? They need a little more water than some of my other suggestions. But you could easily keep some tree frogs, american toads, small snakes or lizards in a setup like that.
What you really need to do is go to college out here. I could find some interesting critters for you and my walmart could sure use your help :roll:

All you ever wanted to know about gerbils-- http://www.agsgerbils.org/
Definitely check out all the links at the bottom of the page. Gerbils are quiet and fairly clean. If they are contained to one cage/tank, cleaning is easier. Even with all the tunnels, tubes and cages, cleaning isn't too bad. If you have any questions, let me know :D

Devilishturtles said:
The thing is that...I'm leaving for a different college within a year or a little after that...so I want something maybe easy to take with me and small.

A couple of female mice! I have two of them on my shoulder right now - one is exploring my ear and the other is grooming the back of my head! :biglol:

Ok, so I'm really thinking about these fiddler crabs that Fluff recommended to me.

I have decided to stay away from land animals (the gerbils, mice, etc) although they were GREAT ideas, it wouldn't be ideal.

The Axotyl scares the living bejeebies out of me. This thing has to be in my bedroom (I have anti-fish, anti-reptile, anti-everything that I like, parents) so I think I'll kindly pass on that one.

I seriously was looking at newts and such...but everybody has a newt :wink:

Call me crazy, but I really think hermit crabs are cool. I used to have some when I was little, but never had success with them.

So, what it all boils down to I suppose is...

What kind of fiddler crab (if there even are different kinds) are the coolest? I can do some mods to the tank if need be...I want something cool. :wink:

Any info you feel like typing at all about the crabs I would appreciate. I've been glancing online, but keep finding some conflicting information.

Thanks again for all of your help! Kudos to you all!

And my apologies for taking forever to answer back to this...but it's such a tough decision.

its so all about the newts. a friend of mine is trying to set up a newt breading operation. :lol: but i think the crabs is a great idea. but what would you have to feed them

Back
Top Bottom