Do oscars become slow and boring when they grow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sealife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was thinking of having a single oscar in a tank and I love how energetic oscars are when they are young. But I seem to see a lot of oscars in aquariums that are near full grown that hardly move and are boring to watch... Is this normal behaviour for them?
Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Most shovel tailed fish get lazy as they age.. key is expending the least possible amount of energy to survive..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you want something that stays active look at some of the Amphilophus. In my experience they just get meaner and more personality as they age.

Thanks guys.

I may go for a flowerhorn. They seem full of energy.

Had a great time with my fh prior to her taking a leap of faith. Still energetic at the 5 inch range, ignore the flowerhorn hate too, they are fish too, bred in aquariums or not!

Yeah I love flowerhorns.
Cant wait.

I have a long fin Oscar I got her in October her actual body is size of my hand whereas her tail is about 1/2 the size. She's very active. I don't know if it's because of the longer tail or because she's under a year old or if it's a combination of the two.
Years ago I had a red Oscar which ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434100627.688864.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434100666.168080.jpgwas already getting lazy when it hit this size

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom