Do plants eat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KyloRen

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was watching a guide on youtube for some plants and the guy said to treat plants like you treat your fish, you have to feed your plants. What am I suppose to feed them? I have hornwort dwarf sags and this one plant im not sure what it is.

Root tabs, liquid ferts, dry ferts, Co2, etc... Many regimens used to feed plants. Its just like how you feed a garden.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Root tabs, liquid ferts, dry ferts, Co2, etc... Many regimens used to feed plants. Its just like how you feed a garden.

I have hornwort I heard that liquid c02 and ferts were bad for them is this true? Is it also bad for jungle vals?

All plants are different and a lil research into their requirements goes a long way. Hornwort doesnt need much to grow like a weed... Lol. I do fert my vals.

All plants are different and a lil research into their requirements goes a long way. Hornwort doesnt need much to grow like a weed... Lol. I do fert my vals.

What kind of ferts do you use? I've used root tabs before but when i put them in the substrate I never really notice a change in my plants.

Depends on the tanks plant needs (i have many)... But as a beginner i would start with flourish, flourish excel, and root tabs.

What is the difference between flourish and flourish excel? when I plant the root tabs should i take them out after a certain time or should I just let the tabs sit in the tank?

Flourish is micro/macro nutrients for plants.
Flourish excel is basically liquid Co2
Flourish is 1 dosing a week.
Flourish excel is daily or every other. Most doing daily.

Also the root tabs will dissolve over time. That's how they release nutrients. They're used for root feeders. And need to be replaced periodically. They can be pricey unless you make your own.

I had my jungle vals melt after dosing with liquid c02 how do you dose your tank with liquid c02? Also how many roots tab should i place in my 55 gallon?

I dont Co2.... Vals can be finnecky. I root tab my vals. I seriously only use root tabs and my own clay fert balls in this 150gl tank.

The rest i attribute to my dedication & husbandry to my tank.

Wow that is a very nice tank. Well I guess ill just try root tabs for now I don't really have any good experience with liquid c02

Ferts are just about learning the balance of your plants needs. For example.... It Depends on your plant combinations in the tank, as to what/how much you will need to use. Every tanks needs are different.

That goes for co2 as well. Vals are usually good at surviving without additional co2. They can use bicarbonates as will as carbon dioxide so even better if you have hard water and are doing frequent water changes. In fact, those carefully selected plant species are less demanding on co2 and work well together obviously. The sheer mass of plants allows more carbon to contact their leaves. Mostly, it's not that there is less co2 in water than in air but it's co2s poor diffusivity and movement around tanks that limit co2 uptake. This is an excellent example on how to use plants in none co2 setups and the stocking will also be providing decent amounts by the times lights come on.

Nice work pops.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom