Do Rams "blush" and best food to feed them is...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

locorosa

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay, I am very new to tropicals so bear with me.
I have noticed that at times the Rams are very bright and their black is very dark. Then at other times they are much paler looking. Is this a prey response? A fight or flight thing?
Also, I have several types of food for my fish. Tretramin crisps, dried worms, veggies, high protein pellet food...you name it.
As tiny as these guys are, would the flakes be the best until they get a little bigger (with a worm treat 1x-2x a week)? Iam so used to Goldies which will take anything down in seconds. The Rams seem to "peck and scratch" if I see them eating at all.
I'd like to get them the Hikari Cichlid but the grains are too big right now so...later probably.
Would feeding them at night be better? I am thinking as shy as they are, they must be uncomfortable with my big head poking around a few times a day to peek at them...lol. Me, the kids, the dog, the cat, the Hubs...:)

Water perimeters are good, ph is 7 but working on getting that down with driftwood, heat is 82*-ish, soft water but not too soft. Plants with large grain sand (adding a little more today) and low light, although getting a better light setup. I am using Seachem Flourish and will be adding CO2 when I upgrade the lights.

Thanks in advance and you guys are great...as usual!

I just got some cichlid pellets from kensfish.com - I've heard nothing but good things from the people on these boards, about his food. Also the pellets are of a smaller size only 1.5mm for the sinking/floating ones (those are the ones I'm getting as I have some smaller JD's.)

Specs on those pellets ------>

KENS PREMIUM FLOATING/SINKING CICHLID PELLETS 1.5MM:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CRUDE PROTEIN 45.0% MIN., CRUDE FAT 9.0% MIN., CRUDE FIBER 5.0% MAX., MOISTURE 10.0% MAX., ASH 10.0%.

---------------
For Growth
---------------

KENS PREMIUM SLOW SINKING GROWTH PELLETS 1.5MM: (HIGH PROTEIN & FAT)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CRUDE PROTEIN 50.0% MIN., CRUDE FAT 15.0% MIN., CRUDE FIBER 5.0% MAX., MOISTURE 10.0% MAX., PHOSPHORUS 1.2%

Seems to me like a good amount of protein and fat, with a decent moisture content to keep in the good stuff. :D

I feed my GBR's both NLS cichlid formula small pellets and a variety of veggies and occasionally flake food. They display variations in colors depending on their moods.

my rams/apistos get a large variety of foods... NLS Community Formula, Veg, Bloodworms, Brine shrimp, Tetramin Flakes/Crisps/Color Bits, Earthworm Flakes, Spirilla Flakes, .... variety is the key to the health of all fish IME

Very good then...I try to add as much variety as I can. I can see you especially JDogg, know your stuff. Is that the Daddy Ram you lost not too long ago(avatar pic)? He was a beautiful fish!
Thanks again guys!

locorosa said:
Very good then...I try to add as much variety as I can. I can see you especially JDogg, know your stuff. Is that the Daddy Ram you lost not too long ago(avatar pic)? He was a beautiful fish!
Thanks again guys!
that is my male Bolivian Ram... i lost my male German Blue Ram a couple of months back. i know Crazyred just lost her breeding male GBR.

Ah..well either way, he is gorgeous. I am beginning to appreciate the tropicals subtle beauty. Having goldies, they are obviously pretty...lol. I am liking keeping them, although the Danios are driving me crazy! Way too busy...:)

Back
Top Bottom