Do snails make good algae eaters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryorgason

Aquarium Advice Regular
I realized when I made my stocking list I forgot to include any algae eaters. I've had otos before, but I never saw them, as they were really good at hiding, so I'd like to try something different this time. The kids always ask if we can get a big mystery/apple snail when the see them at pet stores. Would one or two of them work as an algae eater for my 30 gal?

Sure would. My snails have always eaten my algae. I'm not sure they'll totally allieviate the problem, but they can't hurt. I love mystery snails :) they're entertaining

Yes. Mystery Snails will clean up a tank pretty decently, but no animal that is meant to fit in a tank will handle the algae for that tank completely. Unless you have an animal that is too big for the tank, which is a whole other problem, it won't keep up with the algae problem. You should be looking to curb the source of algae (too much light and overfeeding). If it's not a huge problem, I would be confident in a snail eating up little bits here and there. Although, you will have to provide another food source for a Mystery Snail as they can eat quite a bit and the leading cause of death is often cited as starvation. Some sinking algae wafers would do well.

Right now I have no algae, and in fact, no fish either. I will start stocking this week, as my cycle is now pretty much done. I have had a blanket covering my tank during cycling, as it is in a room with lots of natural light. I just wanted to figure out what to get once I do start seeing some algae, so I can keep on top of it before it becomes a problem. I will hold off on the snail for a while, and get most of my other fish established first. And get some blinds.

Do you have any plans on live plants later on down the road? Some snails are very plant friendly (MTS, most common pond snails, small ramshorns, nerite snails (the king of algae eating snails that don't harm plants)), while some will decimate a tank in hours (large ramshorns and I believe apple snails as well).

Snails are also an excellent source of food for some of your fish. You can breed them for basically no cost, and they liven up a tank with curious fish. I have MTS and common pond snails in my tanks and wouldn't change a thing. Just wish I could find some FW nerites in my area...

It depends on the type of Apple Snail as to whether or not they are plant friendly. Brigs are completely plant safe while Cana will thank you for the salad bar. Head on over to AppleSnail.Net for some information to tell the two appart if it's something that are concerned about. Since both are sold under the same common name, it's good to be able ID them yourself.

7Enigma said:
You can breed them for basically no cost, and they liven up a tank with curious fish....

Very true! My SAE loves to hitch a ride on mine.

Attachments

• sae_16_108.jpg
    sae_16_108.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 272
I think I would like to get live plants someday, but it won't be any time soon. I will look to see what kinds of snails are available around here, and try to get non-plant-eating ones if possible. I have at least some time to do research on more kinds of snails, as I haven't noticed any algae yet. And that is a great picture!

All the PetSmart stores in my area sell those Golden Mystery Snails, and they leave my plants alone.

i would call large 1/2", but that is the size of my biggest one. They haven't touched my plants yet though, they are still working on the algea. And the tank is right by the window, so I think they will have enough algea to eat for a while.

It's the Columbian Ramshorm that gets large and devours plants. There's a picture of it at the top of this link. It can easily get to be several inches in diameter.

I belive the small ones that are plant safe tend to max out at about 1". These also come in a multitude of colors and patterns, but never have the same markings like the Columbian that you need to avoid.

Brig Apple snails are great algae eaters (they need more food then that though) and are so much fun to own. I have a golfball sized one grown from pea size. They are a treat to own and plant safe!

Back
Top Bottom