Do these readings show a cycled tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steph101

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ammonia- 0ppm
Nitrite- 0ppm
Nitrate- 80ppm

Do I now have to do a water change to bring Nitrate down to a safer level? If so, how much do I do? 50%?

nitrate is super high i would do round about a 50% water change and let it sit for a few more days and test again you prolly want the nitrate below 40ppm

Most likely, yes. Do you have fish in the tank? I agree, do a 50 percent water change, does ammonia up to four parts per million wait 24 hours and test again. If ammonia and nitrites are 0, then your tank is fully cycled. Do a 90 percent water change the day before you buy fish.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
The responses were a tad unclear, you didn't provide info about your cycle method so there are two possibilities:

1) cycled fishless. Keep dosing ammonia every few days. The day before fish, do as big a WC as possible (90%+). Do not dose ammonia. Add fish in appx 24 hours.

2) cycled fish-in. Do at most 50% WC at a time, but you can do them within a few hours of each other safely. Bring nitrates to 20ppm or less.

Back
Top Bottom