Do we have it the wrong way round?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atari

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay, when it comes to new tanks the overwhelming recommendation is that fish are what you should begin with and then after some months you can start looking at corals.

Now is it just me or are there a lot more people having trouble keeping fish alive than corals?

Aren't most softies extremely hardy to the point where they grow like weeds and seem impossible to kill no matter what you put them through?

In contrast it's the fish that seem delicate and sometimes unable to tolerate the conditions in a new tank.

What are your thoughts here?

I think your comments on the hardiness of softies is not quite on the mark. Some can be quite hardy, some are indeed, recommended for beginners. But by no means are they bullet proof. As far as fish are concerned, they are the same as the corals, some are suitable for beginners and some for the more advanced aquarist. Unfortunately, most folks dont take that into consideration. They see a pretty fish and buy it.

Just my broad generalizations on the topic...

interesting thoughts, i think a mix of both, like Atari I think people should try some corals and fish as beginners, it really helps to gain insight and experience (and enjoyment!). However, as Hara points out, the problem is that people rush into them because they are pretty/interesting and there tanks are totally unsuitable for them (but even the best of us have fallen prey to those gorgeous glowing corals under the lfs actinics! lol)

I guess my opinion is that research is absolutely necessary in sw, but it shouldn't get in the way of acctually trying your hand at keeping a variety of things! [just my opinion!]

Alot of fish are drug caught so they are doomed before they even reach the store. I do think most softies are very hardy. The exception being the yellow leater and anthelia. I think it is best to wait for fish because the eat the developing fauna before it can attain a popualtion that is of any signifigance!

I guess it's hard to generalise on the topic.

For some reason it just makes more sense to me to build a reef tank with the fish as the last additions. Otherwise it's like moving into your house while it's still under construction :lol:

Is this topic too controversial? :lol: I was hoping to hear some more opinions..

Back
Top Bottom