Do we have too many?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AmberW

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

We started a 29 gallon tank for my 11 year old son about 4 weeks ago. We started with three cichlids, about 1-1 1/2" each. After we had a cycle (pretty sure we are cycled as we got a really good goopy filter from someone and the test kit is reading the right numbers) we added one more cichlid and an algae eater. So five total. Is this too many for this small tank. There is a ton of aggressive activity happening. We have set up three different caves complexes so everyone will have a place to call home. But still, a lot of chasing going on. Is this just the way they will always be or do we need to change something?

Thanks,
Amber

I will have to describe them.

One electric yellow
One solid bright orange, can't remember the name of them
One that is a cantoloupe color
One blue-ish with stripes and a yellow-ish top fin

AmberW said:
I will have to describe them.

One electric yellow
One solid bright orange, can't remember the name of them
One that is a cantoloupe color
One blue-ish with stripes and a yellow-ish top fin

You have african Cichlids from lake Malawi. They should be kept in a much bigger tank or they will fight and outgrow the 29. Their aren't to many Cichlids that can be kept in that size tank in groups. If they are chasing and fighting now when they get to the 2-2.5" it will be worse and maybe only one left.

Here is an article about your fish and how to stock them.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/lake-malawi-aquarium-stocking-cichlids/

A 4' tank is what you need for those fish.

Sounds like you have a red zebra (the orange one) possibly an acei (the blue with stripes and yellow fins). Not sure about the cantaloupe one, would need a pic of that.

Look into either German blue rams or Bolivian rams. They are cichlids and are very pretty. If you rehome your current stock, a pair of rams will go great in your tank

usually with cichlids you have to keep a large number of them to reduce the aggression in the tank . but then you need atleast a 3f to 5ft aquarium depending on how many you want to keep and they also need alot of rocks so they can hide and make there own terratory . ill post pics of my tank soon .

Back
Top Bottom