do yall use power heads?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CoreyB

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ive never put a powerhead in a FW tank, heck, I didnt even know of them really before I got into saltwater. But Ive got all my equip from my 10 gal SW and I have 2 mini jets (606 and a 404), would it be a bad idea to use these in a FW?

Water flow in a saltwater tank is vital for a lot of reasons and also depends on the type of life you stock in the tank. In a freshwater tank, I dont think its necessary to sustain life. Some freshwater fish dont like a lot of turbulence in the water at all. I think it might be best to research the type of fish you plan on keeping in a freshwater tank and determine if they prefer a lot of water flow and good circulation. Your filter should provide enough circulation to keep most fish happy. Someone with more experience in saltwater systems might be able to give you better advice as to why water flow is important in a saltwater tank vs. a freshwater tank.

Some freshwater fish dont like a lot of turbulence in the water at all. I think it might be best to research the type of fish you plan on keeping in a freshwater tank and determine if they prefer a lot of water flow and good circulation.

Ditto. Find out the preferences of your fish first. Some get annoyed by faster moving water.

Well the powerheads in a SW are to move the water around the live rock mainly. Live rock is the natural filter in a SW tank. Plus my percula's loved a strong current! :D

I use em :) guppies love em, UGF's love em, heck I love em!! Go PowerHeads!!!

You ought to see my dual powerhead UGF in my 29 gallon!! plus HOB with sponge filter on the intake. we are talking 450-500 GPH :D ahh!!

alot of fresh water fish love water flow BTW My pleco is in heaven ;)

I love powerheads and use two in my 180gal oscar tank. They both have the quick filter attachment and help to filter the tank. I think they are AquaClear 50's.

I always use power heads, but I keep fish that prefer the water movement. I also found that it enhances my UGF. Never set up a tank without 'em

Back
Top Bottom