Do you feed fish broccoli and asparagus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brenden

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have read of people feeding their fish broccoli and asparagus. Is this a good idea? Anything special to do other than wash it good? I have a large tang order coming in in the morning so I want to cover my bases. I plan on feeding nori etc but a variety would be nice.

If you fed them asparagus what would the tank water smell like?! LOL! I've never heard of feeding them asparagus, but I have heard to feed them broccoli. I haven't though... Formula 1 and formula 2 are big hits with them though!

Phyl you are bad...I have formula 1+2 Should I even mess with broccoli, or stick to nori, formula, myst, and brine?

It is best to feed them a varied diet full of vitamins from various sources. I can't in good concience tell you not to feed broccoli (it is probably very good for them, even if it isn't found in the ocean, lol)... I can just tell you I don't :)

A little selcon & garlic mixed in with the F1 & F2 seems to do well for my tank though!

Throw the brine out the window. No need for it.

Green, buy it in the Oriental Grocer for 100 sheets for 6$. Try to get dried, but roasted is working just fine!

Absolutley nothing wrong with terestrial veggies at all. I feed my fish brocolli all the time. Even the meat eaters (trigger/wrasse) eat it quite readily. The main thing to stick to is nutritious selections (no lettuces) and ensure the fibers are broken down first. Best means of doing so is to freeze the item for a few days depending on what it is. Lighter types like spinach leaves only need a few hours less they turn to mush.

You can also feed corn, peas, carrots and the like 8)

Cheers
Steve

Skip on the land based veggies. These are used in exyreme cases where you can't get dried seaweed. They (terrestrial veggies) are of much lower nutritional value to marine fish than their ocean based counterparts. Try feeding your tangs Formula 1 and 2, Sea Veggies by Julian Sprung, dried green red and brown seaweed all of these soaked in Selcon. Every once in a while I use New Life Spectrum pellets they love it!!! Regards,
Homero

I disagree on skipping the Brocolli. I feed it to my tangs all the time and they look in good health. I know that it has plenty of vitamins for them. The key is variety

Forgot to add that land based veggies are loaded with PO4 from fertilizers. Well its just my opinion... As many others say, they have used it and works for them, in fact Formula 2 has some land veggies like peas... Which if I remember correctly are organically grown. So you can just give your hervibores organically grown veggies...
:wink:
Regards,
Homero

hcuellart said:
Skip on the land based veggies. These are used in exyreme cases where you can't get dried seaweed. They (terrestrial veggies) are of much lower nutritional value to marine fish than their ocean based counterparts.
Complete bunk and not are all nori are created equally. Toasted nori has a little more carbs and protein than some terrestrial veggies but in terms of vitamin content, nori is far outmatched in many aspects.

melosu58 said:
The key is variety
Exactly (y)

Cheers
Steve

hcuellart said:
Forgot to add that land based veggies are loaded with PO4 from fertilizers.
Again bunk, algaes soak up all forms of phosphate no differently along with whatever is in the water surrounding them.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom