Do you have to do anything with java fern?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arran walker

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone have any advice on growing java fern? I have two and every leaf has a new plant growing on it and other little ones all over the leafs which doesn't look good.

Attachments

• image-653290499.jpg
    image-653290499.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 65
I have all kinds of little starts from mine, too, so I'm jumping in here to see what answers people have! I planted my little starts in the substrate, but they aren't growing.

Ha ok :) i know your not supposed to bury the roots, they meant to stick to rocks and stuff

Java fern need their roots out of the substrate or they will rot and die. They latch themselves to rock's etc. If you tie them down with a bit of fishing line or a rubber band. Just pull the new growth off the leaves and let them float in the aquarium and they will grow. I am doing this with mine at the minute

Is it ok to pull all the starts off then, will it not kill the original leafs?

Java fern roots can in fact be buried. It's the rhizome of the plant that should not be buried. The rhizome is a horizontal bar-looking thing at the bottom of the plant that the roots come out of. You can have the roots in the substrate with the rhizome sticking out.

Just gently pull off the baby ferns and let them float. They will soon sink to the bottom and you can tie them to something like driftwood or other decor.

I dont know much about java fern besides they are suppose to grow to rocks or wood. and how the rhimzome isnt suppose to be burried. im just commenting to im subbed to the thread lol!

Back
Top Bottom