Do you really need a Undergravel filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fisherking10

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My 29 gallon freshwater tank is less then two months old and I have already had issues with ammonia.

I wanted to know if any members can advise me on undergravel filters.

Are they good and what is the benefit?

What brands do you recommend?

Also do have any suggestions on how to temporarily transfer fish, if I DO decide to include a under gravel filter?

UGF are not advised. From what I understand, gunk gets trapped under them and they are hard to clean. A HOB filter is fine, or a canister filter will work great.
My 29 gallon freshwater tank is less then two months old and I have already had issues with ammonia.
Did it fully cycle? How often do you vacuum the gravel while doing PWC?
What are your exact water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)?

Well I am not home right now...however I do a PWC every 2 weeks.
1 Female Silver/White Molly, 1 Male Dwarf Flame Gourami and 1 Candy Swordtail has died.

I recently purchased Quick DIp Aquarium Test Strips and Mardel 5 in 1 Test Strips.

Petco gave me some horrible advice ( I put too many fish in the tank, Mollies prefer brakish water, I need to clean the tank once a month!, etc.) and thankfully since I have become a member of this site my tank has been doing MUCH better.

I will add the exact parameters later today.

Thank you

called my wife, this the last test:

PPM 12 120 hardness (moderate)
Nitrite 3.0 (stress)
ppm total alkalinity 40
PH 6.8
Nitrate 60

any advice?

Buy a good chemicla test kit and toss out the quick dip test strips.
They are not accurate at all.
Try doing 20% water changes every week.
Hope this helps.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I haven't used an undergravel filter since about 1985.

LOL
I havent used an undergravel filter since about 1978 when I had my first 10gal.
The bubbles stopped coming up from the filter so I took down the whole tank to clean it and got grossed out buy the amount of fish poo trapped under it.
Never looked back.

What is the ammonia level?
Today, you should do a 50% water change to get the nitrites down. Nitrites are deadly to fish. My guess is if the nitrite level is up, so is the ammonia. In addition, the nitrate is on the high end.

My wife used the Quick Dip and said it between .25 and .5 (.25=Safe/.5=Stress)

The undergravel is out (thanks for all the responses)...

I guess the only solution is more frequent PWC?

Looking at my list of fish and the fact that mollies like more brakish water is this a good combination of fish?

Petco gives horrible advice...they have been pushing the undergravel filter or 2 weeks.

Although Mollies may benefit from salt, they have been kept for years in FW. More than likely they were bred in FW.

PWCs are the answer. Once the levels get fixed, the tank should be fine, as long as you do 20-30% PWC every week (or every other week).
Did you add all those fish at once?

partial water changes until ammonia and nitrite become zero, if they never become zero, you need to reduce your fish stock, when you do your water changes do you vacuum the substrate? you should be if you're not

I think your right, I will do more frequent PWC and reduce my fish stock (unfortunately).

I do vocuum when I do a PWC but I still can't get that ammonia down.

Thanks for the advice on the mollies, they do seem OK.

Last question...can you recommend a TEST Kit , I was told earlier in this thread that Quick Dip sticks are unreliable.

(takes a deep breath, prepares to be mocked, derided, castigated, flagellated, etc :wink: ) I still use a ugf (and a hob), and imo, it is beneficial. When I do my partial water changes I take off the uptubes an suck about half of the water by sticking the sipon hose down the tubes. This cleans out the bottom really well. I know someone who has their canister filter pull from their ugf. I haven't tried it but he likes the setup.

I'm going to sound like a broken record , but UGF's aren't as bad as people make them out to be . They are great filters in certain situations . They are fine for tanks 30 gallons or smaller , for small fish such as tetras & rasboras , they are great for raising fry , & for tanks with fake plants or plants tied to driftwood or rocks .

They are not good for large messy fish such as plecos , cichlids , clown loaches , bala sharks , goldfish , ect . Cichlids in particular should not be used with UGF's , since they love to dig up the gravel thereby exposing the plates & making the filter almost useless . Live plants in the substrate will not thrive as well in tanks with UGF's .

To say that UGF's clog easily , are high maintenance , & are fish killers is an urban mythe on par with alligators living in the sewers of New York . All you have to do is weekly vacuming of the substrate , just like in any other tank , & a churning of the gravel with a gravel cleaner once a month . Any competant aquarist should be doing these things regardless of the type of filter that they are using . As for the gunk under the plates , it is not toxic . By the time it reaches the bottom , the bacteria living in the gravel have broken it down into harmless organic material . I have had this gunk come up with fry in the tank with no ill effects . To get rid of it , push the gravel away from your uptake tubes , remove the tubes , & then stick a small diametre hose into the opening & under the plates to siphon the gunk out . You do not have to empty your tank completely & remove the plates to clean the gunk out . That's simply a ridiculous & uninformed claim .

UGF's provide outstanding biological filtration , but no mechanical filtration . If you do plan to use a UGF ,you can use it in conjuntion with a HOB filter . All in all I would recommend a cannister or HOB filter , but I wouldn't dismiss UGF's entirely .

I am still running an undergravel filter in my first tank (a 29g) and while my water is clear and algae free, I would not advise getting one. I do a water change and vacuum every week, and I only manage to clean about 5% of the gunk out every time. I also had problems with fry getting stuck underneath the plates, and it is a bit of a mission to get them out! I have just bought an Aquaclear 200 for another tank, and am very impressed with it. I know they cost more, but it's definitely worth going for a canister or HOB. Just my two cents.

I too used UGF's for a long time..... NO problems.... I started my hobby as a 5th grader and kept fish for 10 years. In that time I never did any water tests.... just knew to be careful with new tanks and do water changes. I don't think I ever really overstocked tanks and the only losses I really had were Neon, which I don't seem to have much luck with. My fish have always been happy (active and eating well).

I don't advate UGF's or not testing just that you can make things work with what you have got with the cha..ching $$$ you have.

Back
Top Bottom