Do You use a DEEP sand bed??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fijiwigi

Aquarium Advice Addict
4-5" of sand seems a little excessive to me and was wondering how many of you truly have a deep sand bed, your reasoning behind it, and the sand stirring creatures you added if any that really need a deep sand bed. What does 5" of sand due that 2" of sand can not due. I have 25 pounds in my 46g with 10 more pounds debating whether or not to use it in my main tank or just save it for my sump.

That is one of those topics that people are usually divided on. I have what I would consider a DSB. Areas of my sandbed are as much as 6"deep and others are around 2". One benefit of a DSB is the bacteria has a LOT of area to develop and do it's work. Draw backs could be they can cause a tank to crash or so I ahve read after a few years. About every 6-8 months I suck out a good chunk of my sand and replace it with new sand (the sand that you can see in the front of the tank that is) It's just a personal thing for me. My fuge has a good 4" across the bottom with tons of macro and LR rubble. You will hear people say it is the best thing in the world others will say that a bare bottom tank is the way to go. It boils down to personal preference and what other forms of filtration you have.

Agree with Ziggy953 totally... there seems to be a real division on deep sand beds as to what is science and what is myth. Even reading the stuff on wetwebmedia, it's kind of a toss up. I remember wracking my head on that "simple" question when I was setting up my tank: "How deep of sand do I want?"

But I can answer your question! 5 inches of sand establishes an anaerobic (oxygenless) environment where nitrates can be converted to nitrogen gas. 2 inches of sand does not establish an anaerobic environment because it's too shallow.

Now what happens if you have something in between those two magic numbers (although I think the normal DSB depth is 6") is where the debating gets interesting!

Back
Top Bottom