Does a fuge with Live Rock/sand only, need lights?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pain Devine

Aquarium Advice Activist
Due to the fact my original design leaked like a syve, I'm forgoing the 'visible' fuge for the old 5 gallon bucket method. Since it won't be seen, I don't really feel the need to plant the thing... So if there's just live rock and sand in there... do I need to light it? I've never read wether live rock needs light for the allege or not.

yes you want light back there unless you want dead macro algae :) You need about 30-50w of fluorescent light in a fuge to keep the macro algae growing at a nice rate. That way its beneficial to the tank.

no if ya just want it for pods then no light needed but for macros think thats common sense !!

Well, menards had this deal where you get 20% off of anything you could fit in a rubbermaid tub. Since I was already getting a tub, I tossed and extra light in there. that's 40 watts for $20. Good deal.

If you want coraline algae on the LR, or you plan on growing macro algae in the fuge, then you'll need lighting. 27/7 continuous lighting is best for macro algae, to help prevent it from going sexual and messing up your whole tank.

If you don't need coraline or macro algae in the fuge, then no lighting is best for the biological filtration (bacteria) living in the LR and DSB.

Hey Pain Devine, I dunno if you saw or not, but in response to your post about your leaks in the DIY forum...it's because silicone doesn't stick to acrylic (not very well, at least). Just for future endeavors (and for those, I'd use a two-part marine-grade epoxy). Good luck with the bucket fuge!

I ended up using one of those rubermaid totes... Fit's what I've already built perfectly. Fortunately my building endevors have been much more fruitfull today than yesterday. I came up with a great (and easy) way to make doors to replace what used to be the front pane of the tank. So now it's a cabinet. I'll post pics when it's done. Unfortunately, I have to use my fathers shop so it'll be next weekend when I can finish it.

Thanks for all the help guys. I really appretiate it.

Back
Top Bottom