Does algae actually hurt anything?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrhelton

Aquarium Advice Activist
Or do people not like it just because it's ugly? I have a ton of it in my empty 10 gallon tank, probably because I keep the light on for 12+ hours a day. It has DIY CO2. A good amount of my leaves are covered with brown algae and I have to scrape the glass off once or twice a week.

So my questions are, does it actually hurt plant growth or anything else? What can I do to get rid of it? I'll be wiring this light to the switch on my 29 gallon tank so it shuts off after 8 hours too.

It's just cosmetic...although algae can be a sign of other nascent water quality issues.

Depends on the algae. An algae bloom means that the algae is out-competing the plants for resources, which is never good. Also, algae that 'coats' plants will choke out their hosts and can result in their death. Also not good. Many algaes are harmless though, if not unsightly.

Most algae isn't mad, just highly unappealing and unsightly, I love nerite snails so I got three to clean up my tank a bit, and although not all of it is gone (I still have to do maintenance and am currently finding a way to get rid of BBA), they greatly help in the battle.

Anyone have info on Cyano bacteria (BGA)? I've seen on different sites it releases toxic compounds...but I've never read any articles confirming it's dangers in a FW aquarium. Luckily I'm not dealing with it...but it fits into the topic question.

Anyone have info on Cyano bacteria (BGA)? I've seen on different sites it releases toxic compounds...but I've never read any articles confirming it's dangers in a FW aquarium. Luckily I'm not dealing with it...but it fits into the topic question.

Actually, yes. Contrary to popular belief, there is a fish that eats BGA. Or rather, an amphibian. Spring peeper tadpoles. 1 ounce has been known to cleanse 12 gallons of water of BGA in less than a day.

My LFS has them. Apparently, 1 ounce for 2 dollars. Ive helped a friend whos grown BGA for the little guys, and they are fascinating.

eventually they may become dinner. but i mean, if you have small fish, these guys are quick. they arent going to overrun your tank. well, they havent on mine. they can easily be scooped out and put in a seperate tank. or just grab 2 peepers, let them sort out the algae, then hang onto them as pet frogs.

Yeah, but I'm talking about the toxicity of it. The topic is about whether algae can be harmful...if Cyano does indeed release toxic compounds...the answer would be yes (thought technically BGA is a bacteria...not algae).

Back
Top Bottom