Does an air stone affect pH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. Limpet

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have my (standard) air stone running 24/7 in my tank and was wondering if by oxygenating with the temp heated to 76-78 degrees can cause the Ph to rise/stay acidic (7.6-7.8)?

Sent from my Epic 4G

a pH of >7 is basic, not acidic. If you have a lot of Co2 in the water, the air stone (or just good surface agitation) will offgas some of the co2 to equilibrium with the air surrounding the tank. High Co2 will cause the pH to drop.

mfdrookie516 said:
a pH of >7 is basic, not acidic. If you have a lot of Co2 in the water, the air stone (or just good surface agitation) will offgas some of the co2 to equilibrium with the air surrounding the tank. High Co2 will cause the pH to drop.

pH above 7 is acidic, below is alkaline, correct? Mine is 7.6 - 7.8 and I'm trying to get it closer to neutral. So I'll turn off the bubblier and see how much that will help. Thanks.

I have DW too and that has helped a bit (.02 drop), but still not enough for my liking.

Does keeping the cover open help or hurt due to off-gassing?

Sent from my Epic 4G

Why are you set on dropping your pH? Mine is 7.8 in my non planted tanks. No issues at all.

And no, acidic is <7. Think vinegar or orange juice. Baking soda is a base. >7 is basic or alkaline... you can call it either.

I have been switching over to a planted tank and I'd like my pair of Moors to breed. Both are affected by the higher pH. Guess I was reading it wrong about pH and alkaline/neutral/acidic references.

Thanks rookie.

Sent from my Epic 4G

Back
Top Bottom