Does anyone here have experience with Wui Fang?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've seen those too, I think they're amazing. Maybe after I get settled in for graduate school I'll get another tank... so many possibilities :) I'd be interested to hear about them as well.

Yes! I've had one for about 2 weeks, and he's doing fine. I've never seen him on anything other than one of the glass walls... he eats the algae off them pretty well, and stays mostly on the back glass, behind rocks and plants. He comes out once and awhile to the front and sides. I really like him... we named ours "Spock", cause he's weird. I'll post a pic next time he comes out. Mine is not as large-spotted as the one in your pic, as mine's mostly a gray color. Have fun!

[/img]

Yes, this is one of the species of Hillstream Loaches.

I have a couple of Beaufortias, which are similar to the Gastromyzons, although the Gastromyzons are reputed to be better algae eaters.

If you google Hillstream loaches you will get a ton of info. IME, as long as the water is cool (70's), with high water flow and O2, the hillies are pretty much maintanance free. They do much better in an established tank with lots of microorganisms and an algae bed. They graze on the algae bed & live off the micro-orgs there.

The ones I ahve are very shy. Mostly they hid in the drift wood, but will come out occassionally, esp. after dark. They are less shy after being in the tank for a few months & they are really very neat fish .... as close to a miniature stingray as I am ever going to get.

I wonder if they would do better with my Goldfish then? I have plenty of the green algae and the water is about 78* in their tank but I can turn it down to 74*. Plus it's a 92 gallon tank so goodness knows they'd not lack for food in there.
I have been to the store several times and these two are in a show tank so while a little shy, they don't dart off when you poke your face up to the glass.
Do they also like bloodworms? I feed those once a week and I can get live tubifex (after dipping in anti-parasite meds) for them.
I also agree with you J that they do indeed look like a Ray or even a Skate. Very cool fish.

Hillstreams can do very well with golds, esp. in a big tank like yours.

I am not sure if you can actually feed them anything in a goldfish tank tho ..... My golds eat up anything I put in the tank before anyone else has a chance at it, so the hillies are actually on their own as far as food is concerned. But they seems to be fine with my setup (so far 2 years).

Hmmm fod for thought...well, you know what I mean! Lol...:)
If they'll scour the rocks I can put some live Tubifex in there for them. I may also just get one and see how it does.

Good advice as always!

I've never seen mine eat actual fish food. He just sticks to the glass all the time. Never even seen him on a plant, rock, or on the bottom. He is a really neat guy, just wish he'd come forward more. None of my other fish bug him, he just likes his hideouts.

Back
Top Bottom