Does anyone know if there is a female to male ratio with gouramis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kades

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have one gold and one pearl gourami. They are both female and seem to be getting on each others nerves. Is it better to get a male to even them out or just leave it alone?

With the pearl gourami's I heard that the darker the bronze on the front end, it means most likely a male. The gold gourami's, the darker the gold the more likely the male... Is this the case?

And I heard that each kind of gourami should be in male/female pairs.

My Pearl Gourami has a buddy in an angel fish right now in my tank. I'm working on a 2nd larger tank for the angel and I plan to get *her (I think it is a her) a male counter...

They are supposed to be happier that way???

No these aren't like that...i read some where that the males have pointed fins and females have rounded. Both mine are rounded

Usually its the same ratio as with mollies/platies... You want one male to two or three females.

Gourami can be a bit nippy. As long as there is no non-stop chasing, then theres nothing to be worried about. I have had lots of gourami (over 20) over the past 5 years, and they never do much damage. They will nip and act tough but never do any prolonged fighting.

I have never seen any difinitive sucsess with keeping more or less males to females.

So since I have 2 females get one male? Btw do they always get 6 inches or is that every now and then?

I have only seen a moonlight get to 6 inches. He was a monster. But i have had Blue, Gold, Opal, Pearl, Platinum, and they get to around 4 and stop.

And again i dont think you need a male if you have two females. Unless it is REALLY bad fighting, they wont hurt each other if it just some nipping.

Even if it is really bad fighting, i dont think a male will help. You might have just been unlucky and got a couple of jerks. haha

Ok well thank you for the good advice everyone! I'm just going to leave it alone and see if it gets better. I'm going to try and get some floating plants for them so they have some hiding spots

Back
Top Bottom