Does changing water too frequent cause brown algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sealife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I change my water alot, for a medium size tank wih 1 baby cichlid in it. I just want to keep water healthy. But I get brownish algae in places here and there. It comes off very easily. But just curious to why it comes. Wonderring if its from too much water change.
My tank is fully cycled for 6 months now.
Any help?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a fish keeper friend in Ireland that is having the same problem. He has a tank that has been set up for many months and still gets diatoms. His water comes out of the tap with like 40ppm nitrates. Probably has lots of silicates also but he has no way test for it. His county(Louth) doesn't issue a yearly water quality report like most of ours over here do. Very frustrating. OS.

Thanks guys for the help. If my tap water has too much silicates, is there any chemicals I can add to water change that helps? I only add prime with water change.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm having the same problem in a few of my tanks. I don't believe the silicates have as much to do with it as people claim. I started doing two 4 hour light periods and the brown algae has decreased dramatically and quickly.

Unfortunatly I do not know of a silcate remover. There arr a few options. Cheapest would be to set up your tank to need less water changes. Alternatively you can buy RO or bottled water.

I'm having the same problem in a few of my tanks. I don't believe the silicates have as much to do with it as people claim. I started doing two 4 hour light periods and the brown algae has decreased dramatically and quickly.

Diatoms can be controlled by decreased lighting just like any other sort of algae.

Theres not much that can be done to decrease silicates in the water unless you change your water source. As carnifex noted, changed lighting schedule can also help keep diatom growth down.

An army of Nerites can help lessen, but not totally eliminate it. However the little rascals will turn all rocks and driftwood into sesame buns with their eggs. Not sure which looks worse. lol

Back
Top Bottom