does cork change the water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tyrel

Aquarium Advice Regular
I would like to keep a butterfly fish, and read that a floating peice of cork bark will make it feel at ease, and prevent jumping.

Is there anything that I should know about cork in the aqarium? Like changes to water chemistry over time?

I have cork, but its not natural cork bark. Its been cut into a round shape to put plant pots on. Will this have been treated with harmful chemicals?

thanks,
-tyrel-

I'm not sure about the cork, but can't you just take floating plants as well? They would look nicer, help you water quality and will not overshadow your lower plants as much as the cork 8) .
I could imagine though that this piece of cork is supposed to immitate a predator :? .

And if fish jump, I would take a canopy anyway. Even if there is a small piece of cork swimming around, they will probably still jump out of the other end then.

im not planning to have live plants in this tank. and i am going to cover up any holes, I just dont want him to bump his nose jumping up. And the cork isnt supposed to imitate a predetor, Its simply supposed to provide cover.
So I still need to know weter the cork, or chemicals used to treat it could affect anything.

Generally cork from the lfs should be fine, but it would still be better to boil it just like driftwood before putting it in the tank.

I'm not sure about your plant saucer cork. They are not made to go in an aquarium!

many things arent specifically suppose to go into aquariums. rocks arent exactly "made" to go. neither are those clay pots and other things.

ive read that duckweed works with hatchetfish, but i dunno about butterflies.

Yes, but you can test the rocks and I mainly meant that I don't know what kind of chemicals they might have put into that cork :crazyeyes: ? Or do you know how to test for that?

i dont think you can test for everything the cork may have. personally i wouldnt use it though. and would the hood keep it from jumping out?

Yes, but you can test the rocks and I mainly meant that I don't know what kind of chemicals they might have put into that cork ? Or do you know how to test for that?

I agree with you. If you're not sure if it's safe, then don't use it.

I'm sure there are ways of testing for any chemicals it may contain, but why go through all the trouble?

I've had the butterfly fish and have never had them jump out of the tank. I've heard that they are great jumpers, but I've never had one jump out. Just use a few tall plants (fake) that are tall enough to bend over at the top of the water. That's plenty of cover for them. Also, be sure to have a hood. I had mine in an Eclipse tank, so there was no way there were going to jump out unless they had enough force to open one of those tops.

If you want to use the cork it should be FINE, ive used a ton of stuff in aquariums and vivarioums that weren't "MADE" for an aquaruim, doesn't mean you can't use it. ANd if it was made for plants it probably doesn't have any harmful chemicals in it. I would boil it to sterilize it first of course, but it should be fine.

Another consideration to the cork is some of that fake grass that will float on top of the water if you want cover for the fish in the tank.

well, I do have a conopy on it, but this particular one had pre-marked cutouts, And the holes are too big. the fish could eaisily jump out of the empty space. Im going to try and find somthing to cover these holes, but im just trying to make the fish feel protected at the surface.

Back
Top Bottom