Does Mama Jewel need to pack, or can she stay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishNewbee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a male and female jewel cichlid who just had their first batch of fry about two weeks ago. They are amazing parents and I have been so impressed with their parenting. My dilemma now is I'm not one to let the babies get eaten so I'm taking on the responsibility of raising them (and hopefully not as feeder fish for someone else!!).

I love the mom and dad but I can't handle having babies every month for eternity. This was their first go at it and I have well over 100 fry already. I've heard they get even better at it with more practice! I was wondering if anyone knows if you can keep a pair together that has successfully mated in the same tank, but make sure they DON'T have any more babies? I wish I could have one of them "fixed" but realize that's not possible. I hate to give the mom away but if there's no alternative, that's what I'll have to do.

I don't want to end up with 4 or 5 tanks in my house. I'm already up to three. I was hoping to phase out the other 2 when I got the 55gal but now I am keeping the other tanks as well for the fry. Any suggestions or should I tell mom to start packing her things and kiss the kids good-bye?

Back
Top Bottom