Does Stargrass Need Substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Epicchef

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does stargrass need a good substrate, or is it like anacharis and hornwort?

I would actually say that, like hornwort and anacharis, it does not need a good substrate, as much of their nutrients come from the water column. While they would appreciate a good substrate, it is not necessary.

Honestly, I think that very few plants necessarily need a good substrate. Aquarist have developed tricks like root tabs to circumvent that requirement.

I'm asking because it has flourite and isn't growing.

Substrate choice is one of the least important factors in plant survival. Light, co2, and fertilizer has a much bigger impact.

i'm dosing seachem flourish and the lights are really bright leds.(3 blue leds, rest are white). I think i only need co2 but i don't have a diffuser.

20 tall. Marineland leds. I chose blue because it causes a bushy growth.

Also, i just ordered some baby tears. How long would it take to carpet 24" x 12"?Tied to clay and dosing co2. I made a co2 generator and a homemade diffuser. Woth seache flourish.

Yea, my money is on lighting too. Stargrass is borderline invasive when given reasonable conditions, but it does tend to like more medium levels of light.

I have leds, my jungle val is melting too. fish are fine with bright red noses. (rummynose tetras)

Back
Top Bottom