Does your Live Rock touch your glass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djmpj2

Aquarium Advice Freak
When I look at pictures of these beautiful tanks it looks like they have SO much live rock in them. I have a 54 gallon corner unit and have 75 pounds of live rock. We have it so it is not touching any glass, because we don't know how we could clean around and behind it if it did. So it is stacked in a triangular set up. However, it doesn't look like we have that much. If we were to eventually add more, I don't know how/where we'd put it. We had a difficult time getting the few pieces we have now to stay put. We've got 3 large pieces across the bottom/center with 2 large pieces on top of those. Almost like a pyramid. Do we go higher with it? How do you get it to stay and not fall when you start stacking that high?

DJ

I do not clean the back of my 125gal - I let the coraline take over - so I have rock stacked up against it - I did avoid the sides and front to be able to clean easily -

Be careful stacking - you would be surprised what a few hermits or especially an urchin can move

I know many use a certain glue to attach rock - the only drawback I could see is if you decide to change your setup, might take some prying - but I don't have first hand experience - I am sure others here do

I do not clean the back of my 125gal - I let the coraline take over - so I have rock stacked up against it - I did avoid the sides and front to be able to clean easily -

That is what I do with my tanks meola.

I try not to use the glue because I am always looking into my tanks and finding errors with the aquascape so I am usually moving some pieces here and there, especially when I need to find a spot for coral. As for getting your rocks to stay, I guess its all about the position and manipulating the rocks so they stay together. Good luck.

I do the same a Meola with my 90g. Your problem is a bit more unique with the shape of your tank. I would probably only clean up to a pint of the sides and stack rock past there or just not bother with the sides since it is in a corner as lond as it is not visible from the sides.

Another vote for Meola's method in my 75. My rocks lean against the back, not too hard. Let the coralline grow back there. My front and sides are clear for scraping! No glue! I move stuff fairly often.
How do you get it to stay and not fall when you start stacking that high?
I haven't had a problem, but I have a lot of smaller pieces of rock on top of my big ones. Maybe if all of your rocks are too big to stack, you should break some of it up a little. Makes for easier stacking.

My rock also leans against the tank short side. No glue etc. It will also make it look like you have more rock.

my rock touches the back of the tank a little bit. I tried to stack it as to not but too much weight leaning on the back but found it was impossible to avoid touching the back completely without using screws/glue.

Back
Top Bottom