Doesn't anyone here have a cold tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are definately several goldfish keepers on the board. You'll also see more posts about goldfish in the pond section.

I keep a tank of goldfish. They were originally pond fish but I don't have a pond yet at this new house. :-(

I have a tank of 6 juvenile goldfish (3 fantails, a shubunkin, a pearlscale and an oranda) at about 72F. :)

I have a tank of native fish (green sunfish and rock bass), they are cold water fish.

One lionhead here!
"Cold water" is room temp. 70-72.
Named Fred....my "son's" fish.
Fred currently resides in a Marima 5gal kit.
We've had him since Christmas; he started out at about 1/2 an inch, and enjoys his 1 gal pwc's twice a week!
He'll hopefully be upgrading to a 30gal tank, and get some room mates in September, and I can't wait until he's no longer living in my kitchen!!! :D

wow, 5 gallons for a lionhead? I hope he's tiny cuz a lionhead in a 5 gallon tank sounds horrible. I'm sure you're taking very good care of him but he should never have been in such a small tank. That could have lasting effects on his health or at least on his growth. I understand not having the money or not having room for a bigger tank though. For such a beautiful kind of fish I hope that 30 gallon tank comes asap.

I do I have 3 fantail goldies I love these babies they are so cute, and no heater but tank stays between 74 and 78 depending on day higher due to living in fl and night goes down cause my ac works better at night grrrrr but they seem fine

Fred started out at the half inch size that I posted earler, and is now closing in on 1 full inch--he was the smallest one they had. My son wanted a goldfish, and I certainly didn't mind having another tank in the house...
His 5 gallon tank had nothing to do with money or room; it had to do with everything I could find about goldfish saying that they needed 2.5 gallons per inch of goldfish. I played it "safe" with the little half-inch guy in 5 gallons.
Further research told me that by 1 year of age, he would likely be 2", and I made the decision that we needed the 30 gallon since he will likely hit 6" at maturity. That tank can come in either September or October; that decision is based on income.
He gets his 1 gal water change twice a week, once a month I change 2.5-3 gallons. We check his water parameters weekly, and vacuum the gravel at the monthly water change.
He eats a little, poops a lot, sleeps regularly, and seems to be growing normally.
He's got a plant, 1.5 inches of gravel, and an in tank filter (this comes with the kit, and is a sponge/powerhead combo to also aid in oxygen exchange).
I have since read many sources that suggest up to 10 gallons per inch of goldfish.
The following quote is just a sample of many websites, and books (along with people) that show the inches per gallon rule that I followed.

"Goldfish Housing: What size goldfish tank do you need?
One inch in length of goldfish requires a minimum of 2.5 gallons; you can increase the size of your goldfish tank as the size or your goldfish increases, but its much easier to start with one that is adequately sized. Goldfish will easily reach 2" their first year, averaging 1" per year thereafter." ~ endquote.

I didn't mean to go off on a defensive rant, but I do want to make sure you see that I did do the research before bringing him home, and that things may not be as "horrible" as they initially seem. I would not have gotten him had he not been so young/small to start with.
Sorry for babbling.
I am extremely excited about the 30 gal, so we can create a more natural environment for him, and get him a buddy...we may actually be putting the development of my hubby's nanocube on hold to more quickly acquire Fred's new digs.
Hubby doesn't know that just yet :shock: , but it's been in my thought process for a few weeks. ; )

We won a goldfish at a local fair and the girlfriend just had to have him a home. So we got him a nice little 1gallon. He was about the size of a quarter. He then moved into a 10 gallon 2 months later and we got him a friend. He grew to 2 inchs within a month of being inside that new tank. About 5 months later we decided to move and I received a 29 gallon tank for free so i set that up and put them in it. Added a false Siamese's algae eater and 4 corycats and a fancy brain goldfish. We have had the main gold fish for over a year now and he is doing great. He is also about 4 to 5 inchs along with his comet goldfish friend. The brain did not make it. To many big fish, not enough room, and stress lead to his death : ( Goldfish grow like crazy once there given a new environment so be ready to watch him take off. Were now converting to a 55gallon for all of them and looking for add buddy's soon. But there guys do need alot of extra care. So be careful. id love to share anything i can from my learning experiences with fuzzy ( the fish we won ) and all of his friends : )
One big thing to watch out for, they love live plants but will uproot and eat them all the time. The only plant my goldfish havnt totally devoured is this Anubus i bought from petco. Best 5bucks ive spent. And they poop alot, we have to clear out filter pads sometimes twice a month till i changed to a canister filter. Goodluck with on your adventure!

Fred's poop-alot mechanism is the cause of the two-three times weekly pwc. :)
I had goldfish in highschool, but they were the "fancy" kind...they started out about 1" each (had 2), in a 55 gal with a lovely array of tropical fish that they never should have been with...I have since learned tons about coldwater vs tropical setups ; ) But, they thrived, and were a lovely 6 inches each by the end of that 4 years before moving to my aunt's home in FL. (Our tanks never get sold, they are swapped amongst family members and friends anytime someone decides they can't do it anymore--Max and Joe are still in FL, but are in a coldwater setup now, at their third home, and are 9 years old~the tropicals went to my cousin's home and I believe a mostly still swimmin').
Fred is our first experience with a Lionhead, so I would greatly appreciate any sharing of experience with this particular type of goldie. He was in a tank with bubble eyes, and telescopes, but no bubbly lionheads (he has a smooth head) when we picked him.
I mentioned the 30 gal maybe coming early to David, and he just sighed...hmm...
I am not sure if that sigh was a "yes, I guess", or a "no, I don't think so", or just a "God, will it ever end?".
If I had control of the checkbook, it would definately be a "yes, I guess"...but then again, I would not have gas to get to work...that's a toss up, eh?!?

Back
Top Bottom