Dog food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NatureFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Would it be safe to give a goldfish or koi a kernel of dog food if:
A. It was soaked before it was fed to them in order to separate any oils and soften it up a bit.
B. they had been hand fed underneath the surface of the water to prevent the fish from gulping any air from the floating kernel.
C. The food was non-medicated and was of high quality.

Dog Food

"If you must feed the dog food only for a treat a koi needs a good staple diet." thats what i found online

Yes koi do need staple diets and ours are on miquito larvae, tadpoles, algae, and any unsuspecting bugs that fall into the water...mine will quite literally jump out of the water to catch a flying insect at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Wow

I personally do not own koi (I got that quote from a website) I have always wanted them and to know they jump out from the water for food WOW:blink:

I personally do not own koi (I got that quote from a website) I have always wanted them and to know they jump out from the water for food WOW:blink:

A VERY long time ago when koi used to be wild in Asia they used to jump up stream like salmon. They are wonderful to keep but aren't the smartest when it comes to suicide jumping.... They shouldn't be kept in shallow ponds or aquariums because they WILL jump and die. Has happened to mine when they were in my fountain in my front yard :(

Would it be safe to give a goldfish or koi a kernel of dog food if:
A. It was soaked before it was fed to them in order to separate any oils and soften it up a bit.
B. they had been hand fed underneath the surface of the water to prevent the fish from gulping any air from the floating kernel.
C. The food was non-medicated and was of high quality.

Why would you feed koi dog food?

Dog food is formulated for the dietary needs of carnivorous canines. Koi are omnivores, not beef/venison/poultry consumers. The vitamin and mineral content of dog food is based upon the needs of warm blooded canines and may prove toxic to an aquatic creature as well. Stick to common sense and leave the dog food in the dog bowls. :)

That's what I thought thanks jilk! I thought is ask before I go out and accidentally poison my fish.

Back
Top Bottom